Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Howard Stern, the FCC, & my local radio affliate.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHack, Sep 2, 2005.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yesterday, my local FM affiliate here in Columbus Ohio which airs the Howard Stern show, stopped broadcasting said program.

Our affiliate is one of those small, locally owned, renegade stations that does what it wants to... because they're small enough to stay off of the national radar of the FCC. Or so we thought.

WBZX has apparently received a "Notice of Investigation" from the FCC, which is what happens when they start to look at you, because someone bitched to the FCC. As it turns out, the person who's bitching, is some attorney who got Stern out of the Miami FL area. His tactic, is literally to employ elderly people in the target area. The terms of thier employment is simply to spam the FCC w/ complaints about the Stern Show.

So, this is the system in which we live... where a single attorney can manipulate an entire industry. Makes me ****ing ashamed to call myself American.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Any person can have that power in this situation, not just an attorney. If Stern is indeed breaking the rules, then there is nothing wrong with reporting it.

-Mike

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The FCC is the biggest load of crap organization ever created by man. I don't really listen to Howard anymore, but it's always good to see someone who challanges those pigs once in a while.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Naw, I'll take the NCAA for that honor.

-Mike

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, fine... so 1 joe schmoe reports it... Aren't we SUPPOSED to be a democracy... of the people, for the people, by the people & all that rot?

NOT ONE PERSON... Majority RULES? Not in this case.

6. It wouldn't kill me to live without Howard Stern... There are better things on...

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am quite sure more than one person has called the FCC to report the problem. What kind of defense is there if he is guilty?? People aren't making these things up. This attorney is gathering people around the country to support his cause. If there was a legitimate defense for Stern, then someone should rally people around the country to come to his defense.

-Mike

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Actually, they ARE making it up... I've been an avid listener for YEARS... How is some small town local affiliate responsible for a NATIONAL level broadcast... DUH!

Are you KIDDING ME? That's the ploy... hit the small broadcasters w/ a notice & scare them into submission...

The staff on the Stern show has 3 seperate delay units, each w/ thier own bleep button, in case things get outta hand. It's literally IMPOSSIBLE for them to broadcast anything inappropriate anymore.

9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Inappropriate = subjective.

I'll listen to Stern sometimes, but not with my kids in the car.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Sure, so turn the channel...

I'm 41 years old, & do not have the same tastes in entertainment as your kids do. But, more to the point, they are abiding the the legal letter of the interpreted the law, which is all the jurisdiction they're allowed...

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Are you thinking that the FCC is issuing these warnings based on false information generated by this attorney? If that is true, then Stern is getting the shaft in this deal.

-Mike

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    COMPLETELY... our local affiliate recieved a "Notice of Investigation". All that means is, the FCC is investigating the allegations. Nothing is proven... the entire morning broadcast today, was the GM explaining the exact details of the situation... They simply dont have the capital necessary to stand up & do anything to defend themselves. So, they're rolling over, & just dumping Stern... so they appear to be in compliance, in hopes the FCC will go easy w/ whatever fines they might cook up.

Its not so much Stern getting the shaft, because hes going to Cirrius on Jan 1, 2006 anyway... Its remaining loyal listeners..

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe the station should stand up for what is right. I guess they can't for the reasons you indicated. I think in another situation they might, but any claim of indecency associated with the name Stern will cause almost any radio station to pull the plug ASAP.

-Mike

14. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Actually, Stern is under greater scrutiny than other media moguls.

Oprah did a show a while ago that was a "bit off the hook." IIRC, it was about adult toys.. yes.. Oprah..

Stern re-broadcasts excerpts, as he is known to do, although his censors bleep words that Oprah's censors left alone.

Stern and local affiliates got hit with fines from the FCC for "inappropriate material"... Oprah? nothing...

Is his show off the hook? Is it inapproriate most of the time? Yes.. absolutely... The FCC needs to apply their "rules" more equally and hit anyone who breaks them, not just the ones they don't like.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

+1

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    +1

If the FCC actually defined their "regulations" and put them in writing I'd be willing to gamble they'd be the ones catching the heat and not giving it.

17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    It's not the government's place to decide what we can and cannot hear.

If people are afraid of their kids hearing a dirty word, they can throw their radio away, or get that ultra-Christian "SkyAngel" TV/Radio network.