How'd the stolen NAMM bass get recovered?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drivenmore, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Just saw in the "Where's the Pics" thread mention that the Benavente bass stolen at NAMM was recovered. Any details on how?

Just curious.

2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im not sure, but I think several people, including the staff at the show helped to find the guy. I also read he tried to sell it at guitar center I believe. And they made him return it in person.
  3. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    they "made him" return it in person?

im sorry, to me thats just funny. not funny that it got stolen, but funny that guitar center MADE HIM return it.

im glad it is back to its rightful owner, but that sounds like h got pwned

4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Oh I dont think it was guitar center. I think maybe some of the staff of NAMM were informed about the attempt to sell, they tracked him down and had him return it to Chris in person, or maybe it was the police, I have no idea really. I've slept since reading it all lol.
  5. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    good its returned to the right owner :)
  6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    It was returned and in perfect condition. He was employed with ESG security service, and they did the job of really working with me before knowing it was one of their on. I really have to Give credit to ESG because they where willing to pay for the stolen instrument before it was even returned and NAMM hadn't offered anything nor have they even yet!

Unfortunately NAMM wasn't as aggressive as I would had hoped to figure out what happened and felt they might be questioning me more then the loss of a bass..... With the money I spend with NAMM yearly (Over 5K on booth space alone) I feel they should have really been the ones to jump on the situation and have my back.

Anyway, after pushing the issue and even having to request to viewing of the Tape a number of times, which I was not allowed to see myself, it was discovered that I had been telling the truth.

I do praise ESG security even though it was their employee and I'm a little disappointed in NAMM which I pay dues to not to mention the NAMM shows booth space I pay for twice a year.

The Instrument was taken to GC Friday, the day it was stolen to be sold/traded for a 3K keyboard. Luckily I'm friends with the Manager of GC in IN and the employees knew to call me when the bass came in. They questioned the story told to them about how the bass was obtained, but called my old cell phone which wasn't on me at the time and in the hotel room. So it wasn't till that night I got the message from GC. GC does have footage on camera of the guy bringing the bass in with out a case or anything and trying to trade it in.

Its ironic he took one of my basses and then to GC IN where they know me and called me verse another manufacture at the show which probably wouldn't have had a relationship with GC IN.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Before we rip GC, we need to remember their role in sniffing out this thief. I used to work in security years ago and what that guard did is too low for words. that person is definitely someone with no character at all.
  8. And he's stupid as all hell; I mean, seriously, coming in with a one-of-a-kind boutique bass, without even carrying it in a case, then trying to trade it in? I really wish these shallow waders would get out of the gene pool.
  9. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Brian and Chris ...

Great news, glad to hear it's back where it belongs, hopefully none the worse for wear ...... :cool:
  10. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    my thoughts exactly.
  11. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Unbelievable. That intolerable jackass needs to be thrown in a big pile of crap, pulled out, thrown in again, and then really punished... :mad:

...Maybe 100 lashes with a B string...
  12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    HOLY S%%% i work at sam ash in indianapolis and i think he tried to sell us that bass. It was a benavete right??? it was beautiful. VERY VERY wierd. Something seemed fishy about it.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    So how exactly did the bass get returned? Did the police get sent to Guitar Center while he was still there? Did GC get the guy's name and address and then the police went his home? How did the bass actually get re-possessed and returned to you guys?
  14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    When he (Reuben Speerman) was caught on video, Joe, head of ESG Security called the guy and told him to bring the bass back right away and that he was on camera stealing the bass...... if you saw Joe you would understand why he brought it back in person..... Joe looks like Goldberg only bigger.

GC did a good job of sniffing around. Unfortunately since they couldn't get a hold of me and had no way of proving it was stolen at the time they couldn't hold him for anything.

When he did deliver it to me the IN Police did arrest him.
  15. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Amazing story. Sounds like the thief was IDed from security tape and left with little choice but to cop to the theft. Brian didn't you tell me he lifted it at like 4 a.m.? It's too bad that NAMM had such a bad attitude. It reminds me of so may other stories where people are victimized by thieves and then victimized over and over again afterwards by the systems in place like insurance companies, police and state beauracracies etc. Everybody is geared toward denying or reducing liability.
  16. tbader

Jun 29, 2005

I would like to know which GC employees aided you in your search. A friend of mine works there and I'd to give him (and some other guys I slightly know) some good vibes next time I'm in there if he was involved! :) (edit: On second thought, maybe you should PM the first name of the people.)

I'm glad that everything worked out well and you got your bass back. It's coming to a time where you can't own anything nice, because somebody else out there has no integrity to obtain it the right way, so they steal.

Keep us posted!
  17. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Even worse, he worked for the security company, so wouldn't you figure he knew where the cameras were?
  18. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Dealer, Builder
    I'm not sure of the guys name, I know Dave the Mgr and a few of the other sales mgr. guys, but not sure of all the sales guys. The one that did initially take the bass, stopped by the booth on Sat to chat. He said they all were pretty suprised it actually came from NAMM Sat morning in the meeting when they where told. He said they knew something didn't seem right about it on friday, but never thought it would come from NAMM so fast, the first day of NAMM.
  19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    A keyboard? For a Benavente? A Stradivarius maybe, but a keyboard? :)

All kidding aside, it is great to hear the bass was recovered.
  20. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    glad to hear that the bass is back.