Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Howdy and Opinions About Steinbergers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Nov 10, 2000.

1. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hello fellow bassists. My name is Bones and I just stumbled across this site today. Very cool.

I'd like to get your opinions on Steinbergers. I recently picked up a pre-Gibson XM-25. This is the 5 string model that has a maple body similar to a Strat with the composite blend neck. The string spacing is very tight, which has it's pluses and minuses, but all in all, I've been rather pleased. It's made it through a couple of gigs, I've recorded a song with it and the tone has been very solid.

It seems like there is quite a premium these days on the XL, or L series Steinbergers. I'm intrigued about obtaining one but I was able to pick up this XM for about a third the price of the XL. I understand the collectablity issues of the XL but from a playing perspective, is the XL a superior performing bass or should I be content with the XM?

Thanks,
    Bones

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Welcome, to the board, Bones!

I have a fretless L-2 (pre Gibson) that I love and will never let go of. Not too familiar with the model you mentioned.

If you perform a search, you'll find a whole bunch of threads about Steinbergers. The most recent one is "Steinberger Vs. Kubicki" and is on this page somewhere.

Will C.:cool: