Howdy and Opinions About Steinbergers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicbones, Nov 10, 2000.

1. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hello fellow bassists. My name is Bones and I just stumbled across this site today. Very cool.

I'd like to get your opinions on Steinbergers. I recently picked up a pre-Gibson XM-25. This is the 5 string model that has a maple body similar to a Strat with the composite blend neck. The string spacing is very tight, which has it's pluses and minuses, but all in all, I've been rather pleased. It's made it through a couple of gigs, I've recorded a song with it and the tone has been very solid.

It seems like there is quite a premium these days on the XL, or L series Steinbergers. I'm intrigued about obtaining one but I was able to pick up this XM for about a third the price of the XL. I understand the collectablity issues of the XL but from a playing perspective, is the XL a superior performing bass or should I be content with the XM?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome, to the board, Bones!

I have a fretless L-2 (pre Gibson) that I love and will never let go of. Not too familiar with the model you mentioned.

If you perform a search, you'll find a whole bunch of threads about Steinbergers. The most recent one is "Steinberger Vs. Kubicki" and is on this page somewhere.

Will C.:cool: