1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Howdy from Israel

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Nihilism, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    Sup? So, I've been reading these forums for a few weeks now, and I decided I should register!
    I was also wondering if you guys can maybe help me out.. I really enjoy bass playing, as much as I'd like to make a career out of it.
    I think It's important to mention that I'm a very average player, with hardly any knowledge in bass theory.
    I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how to get better, how to learn, etc.
    I'm a soldier and I come home once every 1-2 weeks.
    I'm hoping that'll change soon, but I can still play some when I'm in the base.
    OK I'm getting slightly off-topic here! What I'm trying to ask is, if possible, that you guys recommend me some good artists to listen to (I'm very open minded, will not exclude anything), good bass magazines (been trying to find a decent 1 with no success), etc.
    Thank you, and cheers from Israhell!

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Hello and welcome to TB. You're going to get many different opinions on ANY question you ask here, but in the midst of all that you will get good advice. I like Bass Player magazine. Many here don't. My advice for getting better is to turn on the radio or pop in a CD and jam along with whatever music YOU like. Practice as often as possible and try to get a group of guys to play with. At least a drummer.

Be careful out there bro, without getting political, let me say many of us are hopeful for your situation.

3. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    I didn't quite get that last part ;P

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    No politics are allowed at TB and Israeli military issues can easily turn political. All I was saying is be careful and know that there are people here in the US who are concerned with your well being.

5. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about that. I'm really against politics and I won't start any political conversations.

6. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    Shalom.....I say go to the music clubs and check out the scene. Make music connections for you and +1 on finding a drummer to jam with, maybe another soldier with similar interests. Best of luck, G_D Bless........................:)

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I didn't mean that, I just didn't want MY comments to be taken as political. ;)

8. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    First off, you have a lot of occupational hazards in your line of work, so as mentioned, do stay safe. On the other topic, get exposed to as many different styles/players as possible. Don't limit yourself in any way. Don't be a rock bass player or a jazz player...be a bass player. Be versatile. Find music you like, then dig back their influences. If you like Metallica and you find out they are big Budgie or Misfits fans, listen to those guys too. Always dig back.

9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Stay on Talkbass. There is a ton of info here from thousands of great players.
    I like BassPlayer magazine.
    Find a good bass teacher.
    Start jamming as much as possible.
    LOL

10. Nihilism

Nihilism

Dec 27, 2011
    As I've said before, I'm a soldier and hardly comes home from the army.. Twice a month. I might just find a teacher so I can expend my musical knowledge :)
    BTW, can you list me bass players\bands I should look into? I'm mostly into punk\rock BTW.