1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Howl at the Moon sit ins

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by walkerci, Jan 18, 2012.

1. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    OK...

A few questions...

1. Has any of you "sat in" for a few songs at Howl at the Moon?

2. I have a very big party set up at the above venue and would like to play 2-4 songs here and there. I am available to rehearse a few weeks in advance, but maybe not necssary. Would make me feel better but a couple of shots of Cuervo Gold might suffice.

3. Please suggest songs that might work well in that venue with bass, guitar, drums, and of course piano.

4. I'll bring my own bass.

5. Songs...
    Brown Eyed Girl
    Little Sister
    Sharp Dressed Man
    Turn the Page
    Rocky Mountain Way
    You'll think about me
    Three times a lady
    Pretty much open to play anything that I can manage.

What else typically packs the dance floor at Howl at the Moon?

2. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I have a friend who's on the entertainment staff there and unless they invite you to sit in, you have to pay for every song to get the privilege. Typically, the cost of each sit-in is $40-$60, otherwise, "it's just bad karaoke." This place doesn't have a dance floor - it has a bar packed with tables where everyone sings along. The drunker they get, the funnier it gets. Every couple of hours at ShowTime, the bar staff dances on the bars and pianos - and occasionally they'll do Baby Got Back and drag girls out of the audience to dance on the stage, but that's not every show.

Three Times a Lady and Turn the Page are snoozers in that venue. If you're set on this, then you'll want to pick songs that the whole bar can sing along with. I'd try these maybe...

Santeria - Sublime
    Friends in Low Places - Garth Brooks
    Piano Man - Billy Joel
    Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
    Free Fallin' - Tom Petty