Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's my band sound?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by o.rion.5, Oct 24, 2005.

1. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    So my band is just getting going and I thought I'd put out our website, which is a work in progress, so I could get some feedback/opinions of our music.

http://www.deferredsuccess.us/Media.asp?

All comments are welcome and appreciated.
    Thanks.
    o.rion.5

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The lyrics and vocals to If Only are pretty weak. The rhymes sound too "rhyme-y" and the lines that do not rhyme stick out too much. Guitar might want to double track his "lead" fill that he does a couple times; it doesn't really cut through as well as it should.

The bass on The Real Me could stand being a little louder to fill out the sound better. Maybe repositioning the microphone could get more "oomph" out of the toms during the drummers fill at the end.

The solo on Zero and Then is a little sketchy. To my ears it sounds like you might have gone out of key during your "walk" under his solo.

After listening to the other tracks, it might not be the lyrics fault, but rather the way that they are delivered. Dude's singing is awful for the most part.

Musically, it's not my thing, so I just critiqued the recording quality and levels.

Peace,
    Adam

3. o.rion.5

o.rion.5

Oct 17, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input.

We are not likely to do anymore with these particular recordings, for one our old drummer who did the recordings cut his tracks then split, and we are tired of doing it for now, we did it all ourselves.

I guess I would like more feed back on the vocals, the vocals are split between three of us, myself and the two guitar players. As you've heard none of us are strong singers, but it's rock n roll so that shouldn't be something we can overcome. Do you have suggestions for singing approaches, short of going to black market for new vocalchords.

o.rion.5

4. I agree about the lyrics, they could be a bit better. The chorus for If Only is decent, I like the line 'If only we could all' and the way its sung, but after that the lyrics/vocals kinda wreck the chorus which is otherwise solid.

I don't know much about singing, so I won't be able to offer much in the way of advice about it. Sorry.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The real me is really sloppy on everybody's part... except the drummer. He sounds pretty tight, you and the guitarist are way behind the beat... and not in the good way you've heard about. The singing is... yeah, he sounds like he's trying to be Green Day dude.

But I'm not a fan of this genre of music, whatever genre this is. But I'd say tighten the screws, and fire the singer. ;)