1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How's my mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sir juice, Apr 25, 2009.

1. sir juice

sir juice

Sep 11, 2006
    London, England
    This is my "multitrack recording" for my Music Tech AS level coursework for school.

The tune's Rock Steady by Aretha Franklin, I had to record and mix it myself and was just wondering what those at talkbass had to say about it.

The bass is a pink P copy with the lightest possible gauge of LaBella flats.

I'm not particularly happy with the groove (especially my performance) but I'm not being examined on that so not to worry.

Also, there will be a fadeout when I put it on CD, but I'll do that in waveburner later.

The file is located here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SXQFY9KM

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm in the middle of some mixing so I have my rig up and running... I just A/B'd it with the Aretha track, one that I am very very familiar with. I think you need to get the front/back dialed in. The bass is way up front, the vocals are kinda covered up, you could use some automation to push the horns in the break, bring them back to comp against the vocals. It isn't a "bad" mix, like unlistenable, but it seems like a lot of the elements are competing for the front of the mix. The rhythm section should form a nice pocket for the focal point of the mix. Also, you could watch the reverb on the lead vocals. It kinda jumps out at about 2:50 or so.

All of the elements are there. You should be able to iron this out pretty quickly.