Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's Nashville

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tualatin, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I've always wonderd what the work for a bass player in Nashville is like. With country music remaining ever so constant, it seems one could find a promising gig there.
    i.e. bands, session's, recording, shows, tour?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I HEARD that you pretty much either play for free, or have to pay to play. And I heard from the same guy the bands arent excatly the best... Now, take this with a grain of salt or two, I don't know from personal expirence, and I'm hearing it 2nd hand, so it could be very wrong.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It depends. If you're Dave Pomeroy or Glenn Worf, you'll probably do just fine.

4. you pretty much hit the nail on the head. low pay (if any). some good bands, alot of crappy bands. nashville is low on drummers and bass players here, so you can find some work.

5. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    It seems that country music is never going away, and it always is centered there. It dosen't move from city scene to city scene, e.g. L.A. hair matal, Seattle Grunge, New York Art Rock, Orange County pop punk e.t.c. It just stays in nashville and keeps growing.
    I'm torn, on one hand I hate country, on the other hand, its like German enginering; consistant and less moving parts to fail.

6. DrewBud

DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Nashville
    I think it depends on what you want to do.

If you want to be in an Original non-country band it's going to be very hard to get started. There's just too much music and 'everyone' is a musician or knows someone at x label or y studio so they're somewhat oblivious.

If you're a session player breaking into the scene is pretty hard also. There are the a-list players who are going to do most of the work. If you're good at networking and can get an "in" yo're in good shape.

With that said...if you want to play and like country you can probably be playing with quite a few different bands and play frequently. 2nd Ave is full of bars that have live country music almost 24/7.

I'm not a country player and hate being in cover bands so it's a lot of work getting exposure.

7. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    I don't know. I'll just stay in Atlanta and attempt world domination from here. It sucks though, I'm a responsible and disiplined person and I can't make make a living with music. I quit drinking and all drugs a while back which actually improved my technical and cognitive abilities, I work a **** pizza job to accomodate practice, I'm in college and my grades are dropping, and eventhough I feel and see the benefit of constant practice, I just feel dead in the water sometimes.

There are always the color-adding virtuosoes(Claypool, Wooten, Nitti), but for the most part I see myself as a "hired gun". i.e. a dedicated foundational part of the band. I've put 12 years into music and I just don't want to throw it away, but I also don't want to end up like the washed up "rocker dudes" I see at the practice space.(I think there's one guy who actually lives in his rehersal room). I don't mean to sound cocky, but I know I'm really good at what I do. If I wanted the limelight I'd play guitar, I just want to play music and I want to be successful at it. I know, I know, "join the ranks." :bawl:
    Thank you though.

Sorry for ranting, studying for midterms and too much coffee.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know that I'm going to sound like the old fuddy-duddy in this post, but whatever you do, stay in school and earn your degree. Music is actually what is helping put me through school. It pays just as well (if not better) than some crappy fast-food gig, and I can dedicate the whole week to my studies.

There are a lot of washed-up musicians out there (like the dude at the rehearsal space). Most of them are washed up because they had unrealistic goals, or they couldn't change with the times. You don't want to be one of those guys.

After school is the time where you want to see if you can cut it in career in music. I wouldn't recommend Nashville (or LA) because of the above reasons. It's better to be a big fish in a meduim pond (a small pond isn't all that it's cracked up to be). I would suggest giving New Orleans, Austin, and New York all a serious look before Nashtown. Though if you want to see if you can get any work (particularly road work) from Nashville, I would suggest putting up a classified with Dick McVey (www.dickmcvey.com). It cost, but while I've never used his services, I've been told that they do help generate work. As you can probaly infer from the listings, the players are obviously pro-level, so be sure your a pro-level player if you put up an ad.

9. Tualatin

Tualatin

Feb 7, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thank you Mr. Fuddy-Duddy. I guess in a good way I'll spend the $125 on school books instead of giving it to Dick. That's a cool resource though. Do you know of any in Atlanta?

10. First of all, there's a lot of work for bassists in Nashville. Unfortunately, very little of it is paid work.

There are literally hundreds of recording studios in town. Always a lot of recording going on. It will not matter how good you are (because some of the best in the world already are here and entrenched) if you're unknown.

So you will have to do it the hard way (like they did). You have to get here and play everywhere and with everyone so that you can determine who is serious and who isn't. Then you gotta play as much as possible with the good people and those better than you and learn and help. Meet good people. Involve yourself in their music. Get invited to be a part of their projects.