Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's That For customer Service?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chuck, Sep 4, 2000.

1. On August 22nd, I took my bass back to Ken Smith. After 4 plus years of hard playing with stainless steel strings, the finger board had some deep grooves and dead spots.
    After explaining the problem to Ken, we took the bass into his set-up room. Ken moved the strings out of the way in order to observe the "damage". He told me it wasn't all that bad. Ken then asked me what I was doing that afternoon. I replied I wasn't doing anything. Ken said that they could take care of my bass right away!
    After removing the strings, tuning machines, and nut, we took my bass back to the shop area, gave it to Matt, and started to work on it.
    I took "the tour" of the factory, talked with his staff, and with Ken for the next 2 and a half hours. Everyone made me feel welcome and comfortable.
    After the finger board was sanded and finished, Ken put on a new set of strings and a quick set-up. My BMT Elite 6 was ready for another 4 plus years of hard usage!
    Thanks again to Ken Smith & crew.
    Later folks
    Chuck

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The result of this is that Ken Smith has a customer for life, and probably got many more just from the traffic on this board. Congrats to both Chuck and Ken.

While we're here, by the way, let's try CHUCK!

bmm bmm bmm bmm, Chuck Chuck bo-buck, banana-pana fo-WHOA! ... guess we can't do Chuck here. Never mind.

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    In this day and age...that kind of service is to be commended AND applauded. It certainly gives one something to think about....when considering a new bass. My hat's off to Ken and his staff!

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hmm, if I start saving money now, I'll be able to afford a Ken Smith in 2006...

Actually, it could be less time than that, but yes, that's the kind of service most people only dream of. I shudder to think what you'd have to do to deal with Fender or Ibanez..

Will C.:cool:

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have actually got good customer service from Fender. When I first bought my RB5 bass I asked them a lot of questions on the part of the Fender forum where you can "Ask Fender" and got useful replies from people in the company to all of these. Considering the number of Fenders made and the fact that the people who replied to me all had day jobs as well as being on the forum, I was very pleased with the service I got.

This is not to undervalue the service from Ken Smith, which is obviously exceptional; but as is mentioned one of these basses cost three times the price of the most expesnive Fender and of course the production numbers are vastly different.

I don't know about Ibanez though ?

6. You bet.

Does Ken Smith make left handed basses?

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey stingray

do you play strung righty or strung lefty? just curious.

8. I play strung lefty. I think this is the right... eh.. CORRECT answer. It gets so confusing. But I play a lefty bass strung NORMALLY, meaning the low b string is closest to my head and the G string is closest to the floor... :confused:

Actually, just put on a bass (5 string, please ;)) and look in the mirror and you've got it!

I am able to play righty basses and guitars upside down, though, because 90% of the time that's all that's available out there.

"Hey man, you play bass? Wanna sit in? You can use my bass!"

Uhh... :(