1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How's the B string on passive American Fender Jazz basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SteveC, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love the sound of a passive jazz. I am debating a Fender American Standard V Jazz - Olympic White, Tort Guard, Rosewood board - but am worried about the B string. I haven't played a Fender 5 for a while, but the last on I played didn't impress me much. Are they better now? I know a lot of 5er;s are active, I assume to help with the B string. Will a passive 5 sound good?

2. I have the P bass version of this series and the B is excellent, in tune and well controlled with either flat or round wounds. I imagine the J would be comparable.

3. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Sounds and plays nicely passive. I started passive, went active but I'm back passive right now. I gigged with it last night and I'm thinking about keeping it passive.

4. The B is excellent, nuff said.:smug:

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I don' know that active or passive makes much difference when it comes to floppy B strings. I've got a MIM Fender V jazz (active) and I'd rate the B string as "OK" but certainly not "to die for" like the B string on my Modulus or Smith. I played a bunch of MIA Fender Vs when I bought mine and the B strings were not significantly different from mine. I think Fender must have thought so too because I recently noticed a bunch of advertising hype about the "new" "Improved" B string. I have no idea what they supposedly did, but my guess is the safe money is to try one before you buy it.

6. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    They're solid. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one. I own both P & J Vs.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I find ash body Fenders have a more focused B. FWIW

8. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    They changed the geometry at the headstock a bit after 2008 and the B strings got much better. My P5 has a great B string, especially with DR DDT strings.