Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's the B string on Yamaha BB series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K-Frog, Mar 16, 2004.

1. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I'd like all the opinions of the quality of teh B string on the various Yamaha BB series made of=ver the past 10 years. BB5, BB5N, BB5G, BB405, BB605, etc. I'm also interested in the Attitude Standard 5. How's the B on that one? I'm thinking inexpensive 5 with a wide fretboard. the passive JJ configuration is a nice idea. With the Yamaha instead of Fender, I get wide neck and 24 frets in a 5 string J.

Is the B any better than a fender 5? It doesn't take much to beat it in my opinion.

Come on Yamaha 5 owners, let's hear it.

2. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Yamaha Basses have pretty good H strings. I own the BB G5 (34") and if you have a light or medium attack it sounds very good up to the 7th fret. I think it is not suited well for hard hitting. I have owned many good basses (i.e. Stingray5, Warwick Thumb5) and all had to leave my house, but the Yamaha get still a lot of playing. It is a very good allround bass. I like it very much.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I demoed a BBEAST II recently. Thumbs up overall, including the B-string. I should note that the string spacing on that particular BB is noticeably narrower than the usual 19" - felt more like 17". Dunno if the other 5-string BBs are spaced that way as well.