1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How's the B string on Yamaha BB series?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K-Frog, Mar 16, 2004.

1. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I'd like all the opinions of the quality of teh B string on the various Yamaha BB series made of=ver the past 10 years. BB5, BB5N, BB5G, BB405, BB605, etc. I'm also interested in the Attitude Standard 5. How's the B on that one? I'm thinking inexpensive 5 with a wide fretboard. the passive JJ configuration is a nice idea. With the Yamaha instead of Fender, I get wide neck and 24 frets in a 5 string J.

Is the B any better than a fender 5? It doesn't take much to beat it in my opinion.

Come on Yamaha 5 owners, let's hear it.

2. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    Yamaha Basses have pretty good H strings. I own the BB G5 (34") and if you have a light or medium attack it sounds very good up to the 7th fret. I think it is not suited well for hard hitting. I have owned many good basses (i.e. Stingray5, Warwick Thumb5) and all had to leave my house, but the Yamaha get still a lot of playing. It is a very good allround bass. I like it very much.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I demoed a BBEAST II recently. Thumbs up overall, including the B-string. I should note that the string spacing on that particular BB is noticeably narrower than the usual 19" - felt more like 17". Dunno if the other 5-string BBs are spaced that way as well.