Hows the Best way to learn slaping 5 string basses

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Reason is there is more strings to deal with am trying to find out the best way to do this for my own ways. I want make my Funk and other types of music sound good if I use slap. Any exerstins you can think of let me know about.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just slap it the way you always slap. You will be out of tune at first, but that will change with practice.

3. zphreaky1

zphreaky1 Far from good

Apr 25, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Not a pro, but the biggest difference I noticed going 4-5 string is the need to stay on top of your muting.

4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I used to break strings very often. The D and G strings - every two weeks, other strings, A or E - once a month.
    It used to upset me a lot, but it helped me to learn slapping.
    Let's say, you broke the E string. It means that you have enough room between the B and A strings to practice your double thumb slapping technique. Use that moment before you replace the strings.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It really isn't necessary to break strings when you slap. It's usually a sign that something's wrong IME.

Slapping a five isn't much different than a four.. as mentioned, muting is key. Work slowly and strive for accuracy, speed will come. Just like Mr Myagi said.

6. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Do you think that I was breaking strings on purpose?

Do you think I liked changing strings on the bass?

Do you think I liked spending a lot of money on strings while in college?

I've just meant that temporarily playing without a string, helped me to develop "double thumb" slapping.
    That's it.

7. Learn to slap a six- five will seem easy, and four will be like sex

8. repoman

repoman

Aug 11, 2011
    Kinderhook NY
    ...sweaty, awkward and mostly disappointing?

9. Speak for yourself- Im always satisfied. ;)

Edit: on topic, my method(not claiming mastery, mind you- of sex OR slap bass :D)was to slap all the time, on EVERY DAMN SONG until people told me repeatedly to STOP. I kept at it a little longer for overkill, then slacked a bit. Nowadays I rarely pull it out, and everyone's much happier. Lets bring back subtlety :)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I don't know, maybe you do.
    ;)

My point was that breaking strings is an easily addressable issue. If you haven't figured out why you're breaking them you'll likely continue. Something is wrong. It's not normal. Could be hardware, could be the player, could be the setup.

I wasn't talking about your method for learning to double thumb, just the fact that you break strings often. I can't remember the last time I broke a string while playing and I do this for a living. I wouldn't recommend breaking or removing strings as a teaching method. I'd recommend what I already recommended... Slowly striving for accuracy, speed and proficiency usually follow. Learn how to make the strings do what you want them to do.
    :)

11. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    To the original poster, it's the same as slapping on a 4 string only you can go lower and shift positions less often.

12. I thought I was bad.... breaking the D ever two weeks how many strings do you buy?

13. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    Learning how to slap would be the place to start. It's the same regardless of the number of strings.

14. Sig worthy, right there. :D

15. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    do you have a baseball bat for a thumb?

i slap decently hard and ive never broken a string while slapping.

id check your setup, strings, and/or technique if youre breaking strings that often.

16. In my cast for bracking my stings. Its a facter of my tuner is being uncompetitive still not much of a excuse those.

17. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I could send you a picture of my thumb, but it would be, for sure, misinterpreted as my desire to run for the New York City’s mayor. (It’s a joke! No Panic Please!)

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

When I was in the 3rd grade, my Mom sent me to a music school where my main instrument was the accordion.
    And four years in musical school left me with three indelible things for the rest of my life.

One of them – the necessity to control dynamics with my left hand (fretting hand).

Next.

In my young age, I spent a lot of time playing with very good blues/rock guitar players, who were very picky about the articulation even of the simplest ostinato blues riffs.

At that time, there were two main kinds of guitars: Fender – Stratocaster/Telecaster – and Gibson – Les Paul. Both guitars required different approach. Without getting into the guitar players area, I just say that playing Stratocaster required more efforts, left hand muscles to produce a good sound. Of course, my guitar players played Stratocaster.

Imagine, quietly playing the bass with an excellent blues guitar player without any drums in the small room.

Each and every (heavily loaded) note of the bass groove (played behind the beat) in each and every bar must be not played but pressed (digged) into the wood of the fretboard with a touch of vibrato and various kinds of bending technique.

Since then, I’ve kind of developed my own term of playing “cold/dead” or ”hot” notes.
    I’m not a musical teacher don’t ask about my wording.

I don’t “pet” my strings like some other, probably, the best bass players in the world.
    I don’t just “drop” notes. For me, each note has clearly stated values, attack, dynamics, etc…
    Each note almost always with a touch of horizontal/vertical vibrato.

Don’t try it at home. It’s just my way of approaching/playing the basslines.

Next.

When I heard Jaco Pastorius, it became my obsession to acquire his “fretless” sound on my fretted bass, without using any special effects. Again, no “cold/dead/just-played” notes.

Once, I “hugged” the double bass and I was stunned by the exploding sounds of thousands of harmonics mixed with the “singing” wood.
    I needed to chase that tone on my electric bass guitar.

To sum up.

I was breaking the strings not because of slapping, but because of the above described reasons.

Even more, slapping helped me to break strings less. Slapping with the thumb barely affected the durability of the strings on my bass.

A lot of bass players looked into my issue.
    Some of them even recommended to boil the strings every week or every 10 days.
    Boiling helped to get some vibrant tone back but did nothing to prevent strings from breaking.

I've tried numerous string brands with the same result.

Again, it's me, the player to blame for.

Please, don't try it at home.

18. Kiser96

Kiser96

Jul 29, 2013
    Four strings have more room five strings require more precision and a lot of better muting skills I prefer a five string to slap with now I like having a B string. Just practice and it will come.

19. I just read this twice, stepped out for a smoke, and pondered it. Then I came back in, took a deep breath, and read it again. And, all I got out of it was

:confused::eek: What?

20. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    Practice your Open Strings.

Check this out

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021