How's the flu situation where you live?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Dec 11, 2003.

1. I've been hearing reports that 9 children, maybe more by now have died in Colorado from the flu. :(

Have you gotten the flu yet?
    How about people you know?
    What's it like in your state/province?

This thread is for everyone, not just Americans & Canadians. (where it seems to strike most)

They say this season's strain is exceptionally bad.

So, anything to report?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I have heard that it is the worst on record this year.

My sister just got it, I didn't talk to her over the phone, but she said that it was pretty farcken bad.

I started to feel pretty ill a couple weeks ago, but it only lasted 2 days, and wasn't even that bad.

No one I know other than my sister has it right now.

But, that doesn't mean it's not all over the place, and unusually strong.

chicken soup, oranges, lots or water, and fresh air, everyone come on! don't let the flu get you!
  3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I live in a dorm on the Baylor campus and luckily it hasn't ever hit around here. I heard of one girl in a dorm across campus that had "flu-like symptoms," but other than that there has been nothing here :)
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I might have had it. I know that sound funny, but I'm not particulalry inclined towards illness, so even a really bad flu bug is essentially the same thing as a 24 cold bug to me. Haven't illness-related upchucked in about 5-6 years, so I'm never sure if I get the flu bug that goes around.

Downside to this is that if/when I do get sick, it's usually on my own, and really, really nasty. :meh:
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's pretty bad- about 1/10 of our school is missing on any given day. This is after a ton of people got flu shots.

I don't get sick that often, knock wood. Hasn't hit me yet, and probably won't (well, at least I hope so...).
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Don't know... I've been sick.
  7. well, i just got over it this past weekend. it wasnt too bad, but it sure wasn't fun either. what sucks is that i got two girls i have a few classes with sick too i believe, and one has it bad :meh:
  8. It's bad here in CO, the whole metro Denver area is out of flu vaccines as far as I know and there have been something like 14 deaths; numbers vary-I'm sure it's very difficult to decide if someone died from something like the flu (not sarcastic).
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's pretty much the exact timeframe I had it. I actually made myself rest to try to keep it short, I typically work through and prolong the festivities.

It's a conspiracy!
  10. Since I'm constantly sick (try getting a cold every few months and see how you feel) usually it doesn't bother me too] bad, but luckily I haven't gotten the flu this year.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Arounder here, the flu is like a fad. Everyone has it. I feel left out since I haven't gotten it yet. My wife works in a medical facility, and I have two kids in school, so the flu bug moves into our house this time of year. He'll leave soon enough.

I eat my habaneros, so I don't get sick.

12. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    No flu problems here. It's the middle of summer.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :D :D :D
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My eighty-four year old mother has had it for a week now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. When we took her to the emergency room, all the chiars were filled in the waiting room and most of them were filled with mothers who had very sick children.

This is happening in South Florida, but the maps of states stricken with flu outbreaks never show Florida.

By the way, my mother had the flu shot in early October. It doesn't seem to have done her any good.
  15. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Last place I worked, we made flu shots available to all employees free of charge. After 5 years of doing this, we did a study into absenteeism rates for employees who had the shots compared to employees who didn't. There was no difference. So, we saved ourselves a couple of gorillas per annum and stopped offered the flu shots. Waste of good money.