How's the Hartke 4x10 Transporter cabinet sound???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Jun 5, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Owned one for about a week, total crap IMHO.

2. Take his word for it, the difference between the Transporter series and the XL's is huge. light weight cab construction cheaper cones etc. etc.
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you ever get a chance to A/B a 410 Transporter and a 410 XL the difference is obvious. The XL is a pro quality 410 that has more depth, presence, clarity and power handling capability than the Transporter, which admittedly looks like an XL. A rig I had for several years consisted of the first generation Guild/Hartke 1-15 and 4-10 cabs (what later became the XL's). It sounded great. I just got tired of carrying that much stuff around.

It's no XL. Unless something changed recently I'd look for something else in the same price range or go used...

unless you like the Transporter, in which case you should get it;)
  4. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Also, that cab is like the only cab to have aluminum cones, which don't last as long as other cabs. Spoke to a friend of mine at my local music store and he says he gets them returned all the time to replace the cones, and it even costs about as much as the cab itself.

Sooo, no, I haven't heard many good things about this cab :/
  5. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I have the XL, and I bought it (slightly) used over the TP, which I had tried new. HUGE difference in sound, to my ears. Also the aluminum cone thing longevity he's pitching you is crap. Maybe on the TP series, but I have had mine for about 3-1/2 years with over 300 gigs, never reconed (maybe I need to, I just thought you did that when it started sounding bad, which it hasn't). ZERO problems so far (knock on wood :)), even after playing in the rain, sunshine, salty beach air, and the infamous south Georgia humidity. I would recommend it to anyone WHO LIKES THE HARTKE SOUND. They have a distinctive sound, and it may not be for everyone. That is the bottom line, what sounds good to you.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I know opinions are like something else. But if there is one thing out there that seems to be universally cracked upon, it is the Hartke TP stuff. Even the people I know who use them say they are bad. Plus they only handle 200 watts.

As for the XL series, they do sound good. I would consider buying one if the right deal came along.

7. That's not the only cab with aluminum cones. Hartke has a lot of cabs with aluminum cones, including the XL's. As far as the cones failing a lot, that seems to be one of those things that is always second hand ("my friend says yadda yadda yadda"). Those of us that actually own Hartke (myself included) have not experienced these problems. I've had my 210 Combo (w/aluminum cones) for 7 years, hundreds of gigs and countless rehearsals. It has only recently needed to be worked on (the preamp needed to be rebuilt, nothing to do with the cones). I think that is a good reliability record.