Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's the neck on the old T-40?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 14, 2006.

1. I know that a whole lot of you have had T-40s over the years. How are the necks? I think a T-40 with flats would provide an awesome tonal and visual contrast to my hi-fi, coffee-table, roundwound-equipped FBB, and the price certainly is right, but would I like the feel?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You like thick necks, IIRC. The T-40 is a little thicker than medium, but not as thick as a C neck P bass.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Old peaveys are the shizzle. I have a 1987 peavey foundation USA that is fantastic!

4. You will love the t-40!This was my first real bass when I was 14.I had small hands then and, had no problem with the neck.
    A friend of mine has a picture of me playing it back then and, it dwarfed me So...I am waiting for a good one to come up so I can snag it.You will also enjoy the big booty with flatwounds,..IMHO the way to go!!

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Think a tiny bit wider but also flatter front to back than the big Pbass neck.

6. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    gah, someone stole my T-40 several years ago.
    heavy as sin but I loved that thing. unfortunatly cant recall too much about it. too many years of not playing with a disasterous flirtation with the geetar in between.

7. That might be right up my alley.

8. FeelTheGroove

FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I dont have a T-40 but I have a Fury bass from the same vintage. I believe its pretty close to the T-40 neck. Its thick, but not too thick. If you are used to precision necks you wont have a problem. I wouldnt really call it a "slick" neck but its still pretty smooth and the gloss finish is nice. The advantage of that fat neck is that is never budges, I havent had to touch the truss rod once and ive owned it a good few years now.

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    If you don't mind the weight
    The feel is great.

I love my t-40. the neck is very "P-'esque". As you mentioned, it's quite a versatile bass. Also, the bilaminate-opposing-grain neck isn't particularly pretty when you look closely, but it is super stable.

10. If I cared about "pretty" I wouldn't be interested in the T-40, now would I? ;)

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I never thought they were bad looking basses.

The necks are stable and pretty easy to get around on. The tone controls are pretty cool.

They can weigh a ton. Mine did.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. That bridge, those knobs, those pickups, and that pickguard make it what we Mormons call a "sweet spirit," or a "God-fearing woman" in Methodist parlance. :smug:

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I like mine pretty well. It's just a non-factor (which is a good thing, because I only tend to really notice a neck if it is uncomfortable). What I find unique (at least on my T-40; not sure that they are all this way) is that there is no seperate fingerboard.

Here are some shots of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    As far as I know all maple board t-40's have no separate fingerboards. The necks are just two pieces of maple with opposing graing glued together. The rosewood ones obviously have separate boards, but I have never seen one of those up close.

I used an early 90's fury (the usa ones with the "p" pickup) for a while and it had the same 2-piece, no separate fingerboard type neck as the t-40 I have now. (much slimmer neck on the fury though, like a jazz bass)

As for being pretty, I think the t-40 is quite a striking instrument, in much the same way as a vintage Fender. The large amount of chrome on the pickups and bridge is really cool, the ash on mine is matched well and looks great from the front (from the back it looks like a butcher block) and the opposing grain on the neck(and "fingerboard") is only visible when you look close.

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I always wondered how G&L got a patent for the bi-cut neck when Peavey was doing this in 77. :D

17. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    If anyone is looking to sell their T-40 PM me. I've been looking for one for a while. I don't want to use ebay if I don't have to. So yeah PM me!!!

18. Reviving a dead thread...

Does anyone tune their T-40 BEAD? I was thinking of doing this if I get one. I have a set of Lakland JO 5-string flats that have been sitting around accumulating mojo (read: gathering dust), in large part because I hate how the G is so much twangier than the other four strings. I would think that with its huge bridge and thick neck, the T-40 would be able to handle a B pretty well.

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I darn near bought a dark purple transparent T-40 this weekend.

It looked pretty darn cool, IMHO. :)

20. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    [​IMG]

I do, I do (very stable at that tuning...)

Hey, what was that "sweet spirit" business ?? is that kind of like saying "Yah, but she's got a _GREAT_ personality" ?