How's this for a rig ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllodoX, Mar 31, 2002.

1. If all goes according to plan.. my rig will look like this before the year is over :)

Any ideas or suggestions ? :)

I've already got the phaser / volume pedal, tube-factor overdrive ( yeah baby yeah ! :D ) and DTR-1.. the Streamer LX-5 will come in June and the amp + cabs in Oktober. the compressor will prolly come under the X-mas tree :D

2. :D

so i saved the guitargeek guys a lot of efford, and made one myself in advance :)

i forgot to add something to the picture tho..

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Jumping off the Yamaha & Ibanez train are we? ;)
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    why the hartke head? i'd go H&K all the way! glad u like the tub factor. i have a tubeman and it's the best distortion for bass.
  5. Damn rite, dude :D

heheh.. just noticed.. my rig would be about 80 % european :D
    only the behringer and Korg are non-european :D
  6. the bassbase 400 is twice the price of the Hartke.. that's enough reason for me..

Somem members on this forum might disagree with me, but imo a $ 500 amp can sound just as good as a $ 1500 amp.. it's not the tools, but the craftsman that is the key factor :)
  7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    AllodoX - that looks like a nice rig. I'm not a huge endorser of Hartke, but they do have, IMO, the nicest low-volume tone. They sound great in the shop and in the bedroom. They don't have the circuitry to sustain when pushed. Just what I've seen with my HA3500 which is now my back-up/practice amp.

I would strongly advise holding off on the Hartke unless you are going to be able to gig it right away and push it live (with a loud drummer, and a loud guitarist, and a loud singer, in a larger room). If it doesn't work out in that situation, you could bring it back for full credit and put the money toward some more serious watts.

I was on the other side of the argument for a long time. I thought you only needed major watts if you weren't running through the PA and playing a huge room or outdoors. If that's the case, why not just settle for 50 watts? The problem is, that low b-string gets to be just about useless. You really push the amp beyond its capacity. IMO, even 400watts will be pushed too far. If you have two 8ohm 200watt speakers, you have NO headroom. Your bottom end will fart out on you if you try to play at the same volume as the rest of the band in a live situation.

I tried out a Crest V1100 and saw that I was causing the protection circuitry to click in whenever I pushed the low freqs. Try it some time, You'll really see that you need those reserve watts to keep a clean tone down there. I went for big watts, not for dbs, but to get that clean undistorted bottom. Like Jersey cream!!!

If you're not going to be able to push the speakers, you may as well get a low watt head and a couple of ear pieces, and just rely on the monitors and the house system to get you sound.

For around $800 you can get a carvin 1000 watt amp and a good pre. For around $1,200 you can get a QSC 2450 (2,400 watts) and an SVP-Pro.

Get what you like, but don't spare the power. You'll end up getting it later on. You may do like I did and keep the Hartke for emergencies.

The preceding message was the opinion of the poster and in no way reflects the position of TalkBass or its management.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I must say I'm with some of the other comments - don't really like Hartke heads although their cabs can be good.

I also tried the Streamer LX-5 in shops in London and didn't really like it - didn't like the tone and the neck was really thick making it difficult to play without fatigue in left hand - it also seemed to mean that you couldn't get a very low action - well not as low as I'd like.

Streamer Stage neck-thoughs are OK, but the LX seems to be a "poor relation" !
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    but in my opinion th H&K are twice the quality of an hartke head....:)
  10. you've never shook my hand, rite ? :D
    why do you think people call me " the gorilla ' ? i have a big-*** body with big-*** hands !

the thick neck is perfect for me :D

i actually tried the streamer stage I and II, both 5'ers.. but the LX-5 just felt better to me.. dunno why..

11. HMmMmm.. interesting point of view there.. i had been thinking a little along the same route myself already..

will keep this stuff in mind.. thanx. :)

i am ofcourse very open to suggestions.. but keep in mind that over here it's not easy to get all brands.. ampeg, warwick, swr, eden, trace elliot etc are no problem tho..
  12. my ideas :

- Gallien Krueger 2001RB ( 2x 500w/4ohm stereo OR 1000w/4ohm mono )
    - Eden D410-T ( 540w/8ohm )
    - Eden D118 ( 500w/8ohm )
    total price : 3.854,00 Euro

- Warwick Quad VI ( 600w tube amp )
    - Warwick W410 PRO ( 300w )
    - Warwick W115 PRO ( 400w )
    total price : 2.345,00 Euro
  13. If you have the money go for the gallien krueger and the eden cabs they sound better imo.
  14. Nah.. i'm sticking to the hartke + H&k cabs..
    if i need more power.. i plug one ( or more ) of these babies in the " line-out " :)

a 300w subwoofer.. with it's own poweramp :D
    so just pop it in on the line-out and you have 300w extra :D
  15. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ...or you could go with something like my new setup.

Ashdown ABM RPM1
    Mackie 1400i power amp
    Bag End S15-D (x2)

Ka-pow! :D