Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's this for a rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Dec 25, 2002.

1. -Ric 4003

-PSA-1 thru SM-900,bridged thru 8 ohm warwick 4x10 for big lows and grindy overdrive,mixed with-Mesa 400+ thru 8 ohm warwick 4x10 for mids and fat clean tone.

:cool:

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'd leave out the SM-900 and run the PSA-1 parallel with the 400+ pre into one or two of those Warwick 4x10's. You have the PSA-1 for dirt and the clean 400+ pre at the same time. I was about to say you need to ditch th tweeter for this dirty setup, but the PSA-1 grind is put through it's speaker emulator, which I beleive filters out the tweeter level frequencies. Double check that, but I think it's right. I'm running a vaguely similar setup running a SWR IOD parallel with a Aguilar DB-680 through a DB 728 into my new Bag End Q10B, no tweeter.

3. Can you descibe how to hook it up in "parallel"?

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you are serious about hauling around that much stuff, get a SWR IOD preamp and a Mesa Strategy 500 poweramp if you really want the tube power stage. the IOD has all the grind/clean blending built in. and i don't think it needs a tube power stage.

5. I already own a 400+ and the psa-1

I used to run the psa-1 thru a Mo'bass,but I have no need for the fx on the Mo' anymore so I'm gonna trade it for an SM-900.

I don't care much for the SWR tone by it'self and I've tried a M-pulse 600 and without a sansamp infront they both haven't got that deep bass sound and crystal clean highs I'm after.

That said,the mesa's preamp seems too dirty for the sansamp,so when the sansamp is overdriven the highs become too harsh for my tastes.

The clean SWR preamp seems to suit the sansamp tube emulation beautifully.
    So that gives me the deep exspansive lows and trebley sheen with footswitched overdrive that I'm after.

But then that alone lacks a whole lot of mids that I crave,so that's where the 400+ comes in,warm grunting mids to spare.

When I get my own roadies I'll replace the 4x10 cabs with one Megoliath and one 8x10 Roady Ready Mesa.

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Well, this technically wouldn't be parallel, but you could set the input of the PSA-1 to line level, and use it in the effects loop of the 400+. Running in parallel means either splitting or chaining the bass output to both the 400+ and PSA-1, and running the PSA-1 out to the 400+ FX return if the loop has a wet/dry blend function. I'm uncertain, however whether or not the 400+ has this function.

7. I see what you mean,but the PSA-1 sounds too compressed and well.....pretty much like crap when run thru any tube amp I've tried....even tech 21 recomends using a solid state power amp for it,and I can definately see why.

But thanks for the input.:cool: