Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's this for a setup?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 28, 2001.

1. I was thinking about getting:

Workingman 4004 head. Blem $479 (from musiciansfriend.com) Normal $600

Carvin RL210T cab. $299 new (I'm gonna get this)

Ampeg B2R ($559)

GK 400 ($449) or 700RB ($599)

Ampeg SVT350AV ($629)
    ----------------------------------

The RL210T's specs are:

The RL210T RL210T: 2 x 10 Bass Enclosure

For those who want all the quality and performance of the "RedEye" (RL410T), but at about half the size and weight, the RL210T is just right. It has the same compression driver and crossover network, including an adjustable tweeter, as its bigger brother and will complement a sub woofer set-up or work great as a stand-alone unit. You will be pleasantly surprised by the solid output of this compact cabinet! Imp: 4½, Pw: 400w, 64 Hz to 16k Hz. 23.5"W x 18.25"D x 17.5"H, Wt. 50 lbs.

------------------------------------

What do you guys think? Will I be able to be heard in my drum/guitar/vocal/bass band? Will I have head room?

I'm also going to run a A/B switch to my Peavey 112 Combo for extra volume and lows.

What do you guys think? I just want opinions and experiences so I don't buy a bad piece of gear! 8)

Thanks!

[Edited by ThePaste on 01-28-2001 at 08:28 PM]

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have the RC210 combo with the Carvin 2x10 and horn. It's nice-sounding, but it is not very efficient. When my band gets loud (drummer plus guitarist using a 50-watt tube combo amp), I have to run my R1000 head driving the 2x10 plus 1x18 full bore (300+ watts into each cab) sometimes.

Interesting you're going with a Carvin speaker but another brand's head. I'm thinking just the reverse. I like the Redline heads, but the cabs aren't very efficient, and the low-end response isn't that impressive. (According to the frequency response chart in Carvin's catalog, the 2x10 appears to be down -3 dB at about 100 Hz. and -10 dB at 80 Hz.) So... I'm going to upgrade my cabinets with other manufacturers' models.

- Mike

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've used Carvin's 12" and 15" bass speakers and would not recommend them to anyone--they're peaky sounding (uneven frequency response), not very punchy, and quite inefficient. My experience a Carvin PB200 combo amp was unpleasant--mediocre sound and unreliable electronics. I think Carvin loads their amps with a bunch of fancy features to cover up the fact that they're lacking in tone. I had a GK400RB which sounded good but was not loud enough, so I sold it. I liked the sound of the 700RB, but I read MANY posts on this site, as well as on the Harmony Central and UMass Bass Gear review sites, about the new generation of fan-cooled GK bass amps being terribly unreliable.
    I have a friend who uses the SWR WM 4004 with great results. I bought the Ampeg B2R and while it's not the be-all and end-all of bass amps, it sounds great for a solid-state amp, is portable and loud enough for most situations (350 watts @ 4 ohms) and it has a 5-year transferable warranty. I got mine for $489; check out http://bassnw.com where they have factory-refurbished models with full warranty for $449. The SVT 350AV is just the B2R repackaged in a big wooden case that exposes the knobs and sliders to damage; racking a B2R would be a much better bet.
    Relying on one 2-10 cabinet to cut through a band with guitars and drums may not be entirely realistic.
    I run my B2R into SWR Goliath Jr. III 2x10 and SOB 1x15 cabs that are both 8 ohms. Running one cabinet pulls 200 watts from the amp, which is loud enough for playing with guitar and drums but doesn't leave much headroom. Playing with both cabs at 350 watts, the sound is much fuller and fatter, with more headroom. I wouldn't recommend getting a 4-ohm 2x10; getting an 8 ohm model will let you add another 8 ohm cabinet for more coverage.

[Edited by winston on 01-29-2001 at 06:01 PM]

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have the carvin RL410 cab..i love the thing. Its got great lows, warm mids, and nice crip highs...i would imagine the 210 sounds similar just not as full as its big bro. I am also considering the 210 when i have a few extra bucks to burn again. so i have something a lil lighter to lug around

5. i had 4 , 12" carvin bass speakers and the frequency response was inadequate. they sounded likes s$%#. on the other hand most owners of their high end heads like em, my friends included, carvin speakers are like eminence...nothing special......you will hear the difference if you compare these speakers to an EV or PAS, or something high end, absolutely! hands down!

6. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    i have a swr wm 4004 and it is a great amp. I run it out of a 2-15' and it sounds great. Would recommend it to anyone looking into it

7. What kind of music do you play?

8. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    rock. everything from 80's hair band to Taproot new Metal. The amp works good w/ lows ( like super lows...G# lows) and it has good articulation w/ highs. mid range is the only thing that bothers me about the amp. I have to cut it totally to get a normal sound out of it (but the bass i use...a Fender P...is naturally a mid range-e bass, so that might be the problem there).Haven't had it that super long...but the only problem that i have had w/ it is that it seemes to be a lil too powerful.