Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's This Funky Color Combo???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 20, 2003.

1. The Brown Tortoise

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. The Reddish Tortoise

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Yuck! stick with the simple white...

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    If y'all got the new issue of BP, inside there's a pic of Chris Chaney with his lake placid blue pbass w/ reddish tortoise pickguard. kinda cool, yet very different from the usual white on sunburst, black on vintage yellow i'm soo used to on my Fender stylie basses.

[​IMG]

so, i was wondering if that'd work with some jbasses. so with a little photoshop, i did these:

[​IMG]

here's one that's more reddish:

[​IMG]

here's the usual/original pic:

[​IMG]

do y'all dig the first one or the second one? dont mind the pbass pickup, its the only brown tortoise color i found that i liked. i dunno, the tortoises kinda grow on ya!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm very much a fan of tortoise in any shade, but not with the blue body.
    I think white looks better in this case.
    I'd prefer the darker tortoise anyway, that could work.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I like the first one.

4. I like LPB, and I like tortie guards, but not together. :eek:

Mike

5. The dark tortoise on blue looks pretty good. It's at least a little more interesting than the white pickguard. I don't like the more reddish one, though.

6. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    The 1st one out of the 2, but the white looks best overall on the blue. Ever consider white mother of toilet seat.

7. OneDrop

OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    i like the darker of the two but hold onto the white for the times you want that classic look. my funky/weird combo was a '77 natural p-bass/maple neck w/ a black pearl pg - i bought it used like that. i thought it was interesting and different for a while but put white on after a while.

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I also like the first one, but I like this too. So take my opinion with the proverbial grain of salt.
    [​IMG]

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i dunno, that red is really growing on me. if i start gigging with it, maybe it'll be my trademark! :p or my infamous, notorious scarlet letter. :rolleyes:

i dunno, but its indicative of the tackiness i've been becoming more and more these days! before this color combo, it was liking my green w/ yellow striped adidas. before that is was my tacky red levant fetish on anything amp related. when will it ever end?!?!?

a little OT:

armyB,

cool! are you full on enlisted, or ROTC? is that an army sponsored group you're with, or is that just you and your buds? rock on, bro! :bassist:

10. get a black pearloid pickguard!

11. Exactly!:D

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    kinda looks steve harrisish. i like the brown. lpb p-basses look cool with gold anodized pickguards too, but i don't know about jazzes.

13. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    Personally both of the red scratch plates look great, I think the blue body against the red looks sweet.especially on a old,ratty,beat-up,heavily gigged vintage p-bass,theres nothing finer.but to each is their own, if it were me,I
    would have to get both the reds, and add them to my two new blue fenders basses.:D decisions,decisions,decisions.:D

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    My vote goes for the reddish simply because I've seen white and brown pickguards to often.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I like the brown. Looks good with the blue. A pearloid would look cool too.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I really love LPB basses, but I only think the tort works well with a LPB PBass. Personally, I like a mint pickguard with LPB on a Jazz.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The dark pickguard looks classy, but I think the red is bit too bright.

18. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    white pealoid on that pretty blue and the creamy maple fretboard.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

its all for naught... :(

that bass recently sold, and as you can tell by the photo's production, it was a Sadowsky.

ahhh, well...

thx for the help, tho!

20. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I would take any one of the three any day.

They all have a cool look.