Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's this rig look?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 14, 2005.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm about a click away from ordering the following.

QSC RMX1450 Power Amp
    Tech 21 SansAmp RBI Preamp
    (2) Aguilar GS112 Cabs

Does that look like a good setup? Any recommended changes or anything? Will that work well?

I don't know a great deal about the pre/power amp setup, but I've noticed there aren't a lot of amps in my price range that seem appealing.

Also, would the standard 1/4" speaker cables work in this situation? Or would I need a different kind (speakon, other?)

Thanks for the input.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    But if you want a little more to think about ...

When I was looking at the RMX, the Carvin DCMs looked like a direct competitor. I ended up springing the extra few bucks for a PLX for the weight savings. Its not a lot more money, and the PLX is soooo nice to carry. With the rig you have there the power amp will probably be the heaviest item! But thats fine if thats OK with you ...

My choice for an inexpensive preamp (judging from features and listening to clips on basstasters.com) would be the BBE BMax-T. I'm sure the RBI is good too ... but did you notice that there are some Ampeg SVP-Pros for sale for $325 or so in the classifieds here? If you're looking for a rock sound, the ampeg is a winner.

1/4" cables should work just fine.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Good advice from Pickles. If you gig alot, the extra weight savings on the PLX will be more than worth the few extra bucks.

When I had a Carvin DCM2000 power amp in my rack, it was a lead brick. Fine for awhile, but it got real old real quick. Moving to a PLX was fantastic on the weight issue, plus it was one rack space smaller than the Carvin (although heavy, it was a fine amp.)

4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That would be an excellent rig!

I use the RBI and also have a GS112 and they sound great together!

Unless you can spare the change for a lightweight amp the QSC is also an excellent choice. I own a PLX and an RMX amp and they are both awesome.

You will need either a Speakon cable or do what I do, buy speakon adapters and leave them hooked up to the amp full time. (Don't worry about not getting enough juice to the GS112's, they will get all they need and then some.) That way you can use any old 1/4" speaker cable that might be around and if you need to you can take the adapter off and use the speakon out.

If you go bridged mono you will want to make a custom pigtail (adapter) to use with 1/4" cables. It's very easy. Just make or buy a bridged mono cable, cut the 1/4" male plug off and solder on a female jack. I would cut it off short enough to store easily in the back of the rack. leave it maybe no more than 1 foot long.

That's what I think anyway.

:D

Joe.

5. I sometimes use a set up very similar to what you are considering except with a QSC PLX1602. The RBI and GS112's sound great together, IMO. I owned a QSC RMX amp at one time and if you will be moving your rig much, the weight difference does matter (to me anyway). Here's what it looks like...

[​IMG]

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a similar rig. Or at least I will monday when my second GS112 arrives. And yes your pre/power rack will be the heaviest thing in your rig. I'm using an SVTCL pre amp with a Yamaha power amp similar to the RMX1450 and carvin R1000.
    Does the QSC amp not have 1/4 inch outputs? If not you may have to get banana plugs or speakons, whatever it has it's no big deal. The Aguilars have both 1/4 inch and speakon inputs btw.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    can I ask if any of you are having a problem with the spring loaded handle on the GS112 vibrating like crazy when you play? and what you are doing about it? Right now I've been putting a wash cloth or towel over the handle to stop the vibrating, but I'm open to suggestions.

8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    You're heading in the same direction I just took. I got a QSC RMX1450, Bergantino HT210S and EX112S cabs, and I'm working on the preamp right now (waiting to hear back from Tony on his Ashdown Entwistle preamp). My rack will now be heavier than my cabs (but it is alot easier to carry a heavy 4-6 space rack than a 100# speaker cab!!!). Unless you've got back problems, I think the RMX might perform better than the PLX for less money. There is a tradeoff in performance and weight in the opinion of many. QSC has a special deal with 6 year warranties right now too!

9. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah the weight difference shouldn't be too much of an issue as I doubt I'd be moving this around a whole lot.

I'm planning a trip to the local bass store soon anyway so I'll see if I can get a chance to test some stuff out too.

I'm also considering possibly the Ampeg SVP-Pro Preamp as well. (I've got the pedal SansAmp so I'd still have that to use as well) I've got an Ampeg B2R at the moment and I do like the sound I get so it may not be a bad idea. I've also considered just sticking with the B2R as well. I'm not gigging at the moment so I'm not sure if the new stuff is really necessary other than improving my sound for myself a bit. Depends on how much I want to spend my oney i guess.
    I've also looked at a couple other poweramps too (Stewart world for example)

I wish I knew more about connecting these things too. I have no clue what the difference between 4 ohms mono or 4 ohms bridged is.

Also for the Cabs, each are 8 ohms, so how would I connect them to make thema 4 ohm set?

Is it just plugging the bottom cab into the top cab and then the top cab into the poweramp (with the preamp connected to the power?) What about the bridged, or mono, and things like that?

Thanks for the help everyone.

10. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Your 2 8 ohm cabs will give you 4 ohms - whether you plug them both into your amp, or one into the other and then into your amp.

11. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    So I can do it either way? Thanks, I didn't know that.

Now plugging both into the amp would mean plugging one amp into channel one and the other into channel two for example?

Or like with the B2R Just plugging one amp each into the speaker plugs in the back. Seems too simple :p

Also what about the bridged/mono with the power amp?

Thanks again guys. I don't know what I'd do without TB :cool:

12. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Oops. When I said both into the amp, I was assuming a mono amp (i.e. a head.)

If you have a stero amp, you will need to run one to each side.

*If* your stero amp is capable of doing 2 ohms a side (this is important, be sure it is capable of 4 ohms bridged,) then you can bridge it (usually with a switch on the back - and by hooking up the banana plug differently (see the manual, not all amps are the same)) and then go to one cab and from there to the 2nd cab.

The advantage of bridging is more watts (=more headroom.) Depending on your amp, though you may not need it. For example a CA9 has plenty coming off each side. I never bridge mine...(or haven't yet! :help: )

13. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Oh I see. So when it says, for example, 450 watts per channel, and I'm running a pair of Aguilar 112's as planned, so I'd have one cab plugged in per channel, and each cab would have 450 watts (max) powering it? So it would kind of be like having a seperate head for each cab in a sense? Or do I have it wrong and it would be 450 total going into both cabs?

It seems to make sense though. 900 watts if you use both channels but bridged at 1400 (this is using the 1450 for my thinking through the numbers) Both of which way exceed what I need for power if true :p

I may just stick with the B2R for the time being. It should suit my needs just fine for now. So with the B2R is has a spot on the back with 2 - 1/4" jacks in the speaker section, so by plugging one of the aggies into each spot it would be a 4 ohm total load. Or if I plugged one cab into the other, then the cab into the b2r it'd still be 4 ohms either way...

Also... how are the Stewart world poweramps?

14. the dude

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Sounds like you've got it. Only clarification is that most good amps are rated in terms of RMS vs. maximum wattage. So the Crest CA9 is 900 watts RMS per channel, not maximum. And you are right, you would have 900 watts going to each cabinet. Like you said, a separate head for each cabinet.

Also, having 2x the wattage you "need" is a good thing. If your speakers can handle 500 watts, you should (ideally) use an amp that will give them something like 1000 watts (RMS.) You won't need all the power, but your sound will be much fuller and cleaner and just plain better. Many threads on this topic. It's called headroom.

The Stewart Worlds are great. I recommend the 2.1. Very light weight.

I prefer the Crest CA9, but it weighs in at 47 lbs...

15. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Just an update. Dave at Aguilar saw this thread, contacted me, and is sending me a new handle for the cab. +1 for Aguilar customer service.

16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    When you start going down the road of lighter gear, where does it stop? I loved the sound out of my RMX1850. But for the lighter weight I dumped it for a PLX2402. Then after I while lost interest in that and got a Stewart 1.2. What's next, one of those Clarus jobs that weighs one and a half pounds? :meh: :rolleyes:

17. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    sounds great! i use a PLX, RBI rig into an avatar 2x10. For sure get the PLX, look on ebay for like a month and you will get a deal for sure. Building a rig adds up the weight FAST.

18. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well i got the first part of it today at least :) I think I'm gonna have to let the credit card recover a bit before I get anymore, but I'm quite happy with this.

[​IMG]

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think I paid $450 for a new plx 1602 from Northern Light and Sound.
    The bbe pre is nice;)
    Great combo with the aggies I bet.

20. incognito89x

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Well now I'm kind of torn as to what to do now.

I think either way I'm going to go with the RMX 850 power amp if I go that route. It's a bit heavier but I'll take the weight to save some money. 35 lbs isn't too bad. I think I'll be able to manage no problem.

I'm sort of torn though with what else to do. I don't know whether to get the SVP-Pro or the SansAmp RBI. I like the Ampeg sound a lot. I tried out an SVT3 yesterday and I liked the sound. Its my understanding that the SVP and SVT3 have the same (or at least quite similar) preamp so I would have generally the same tone with the Pro. Plus I have the SansAmp pedal so I would still have that around.

I was also thinking of maybe just getting the SVT3 and skipping the power amp problems.

The SVT is listed at 900 new whereas the SVP and RMX would be 800 new. The SVT would be about half the weight there. With the PLX1202 it'd be 1100.

I'm thinking maybe that the SVT3 might be the best (and easiest) route for me to go right now. The power level would be fine for my needs I'm sure.