How's Your Bass Recognition?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptune, May 19, 2007.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    I recently had a significant amount of work done to this bass, both cosmetically and functionally. Any guesses as to what model she started out as?

2. hansfranz

hansfranz

Jul 22, 2005
    Rocklin, CA
    Methinks some version of a tele bass. Or maybe the Sting Precision bass? If it's either, it has a different neck on it though, perhaps a vintage one (judging by the headstock).

3. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    My first thought was Schecter body/Fender neck, but now I'm not so sure. Whatever it is, it came out very nice. Almost enough pickups to satisfy Bootsy! :D

4. Fender HM Jazz or some variation?

It's the straight double-Jazz pups that are setting off my sensors. ;)

5. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Inactive

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    schecter deleo or model T?

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1

dcr

7. That is a Fender HM 5 string. I used to have one of those in chrome red. Great Bass!! I built a preamp and installed into the back of mine since there was already a space there for a battery. I regret selling that bass. Nice job on yours.

8. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Good call Cristov and Ian. I figured the pickguard and the natural headstock might throw some folks off. Coincidence: mine was Chrome Red also.

I always liked the playability and tonal variation of the bass but hated the 'hair band relic' looks and thin tone of the stock HM. When I finally decided to revamp it, I ordered three Aero pickups, had Mike Lull in Seattle install them, refinish the body and headstock, and add a push-pull pot, giving it two more pickup selections. Then I gave Terrapin Guitars a template for a pickguard (I've always been a fan of early P-bass styling). Next is chrome Hipshot hardware and possible replacement of the TBX tone pot with a standard 250k. The verdict's still out on the TBX. Any thoughts on the TBX vs 250k?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021