1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How's Your Guitar Playing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassFishingInAmerica, Mar 28, 2015.

1. I'm better on guitar than bass.

11 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. I'm equally good on bass and guitar.

28 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I'm better on bass but can play some guitar.

104 vote(s)
    57.8%
  4. I'm good on bass but can not play guitar.

31 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Give me some time, I just started!

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. What's a bass?

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. I'm a rhythm player, but there's no money in that unless you're lucky enough to land a gig with an orchestra or big band. There's none of those around here.
    It's funny how when you mention rhythm, folks automatically think of Joan Baez type strummers. Most have never heard of Freddie Green, Tommy Emmanuel, Ted Greene, Jimi Hendrix, and others with good grips and rhythm patterns.

Hence my branching out to bass. Much more demand, especially in light of my distaste for singing.
    My bass (and rhythm guitar) playing will continue to improve at a rapid pace, as I'm now playing an event a day, and even turning away business.

2. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    My background is somewhat different in that I went from classical guitar (not acoustic/electric) to bass. I noodled briefly with electric guitar, but felt uninspired, and the classical fingerstyle and contrapuntal bass lines I played in the classical music ultimately made the electric bass a better fit. Still, I can play barre chords and some basic jazz chords, but I'm not certain, as I sold all my guitars six months after starting on bass (over 30 years ago) because I had found my true musical love.

3. I started playing guitar in 1972 when I got my first guitar for my 18th birthday. As the years went by I got pretty good at it. I started playing bass in 2007, and when I played bass in the early days I played it like a lead guitarist, with way too many notes. Over time I learned to play bass properly, and the funny thing is that while I played bass like a guitarist, I now play guitar like a bassist! I can still riff like crazy, but I'm much more conscious of rhythm and harmony now.

4. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Coming from a family of musicians, there was a band playing in my living room all my life. Two older brothers, one drummer, one sax player (who can play any instrument he puts his hands on within 5 min). The bass was always the instrument that attracted me. Played in the low brass section for many years on baritone & trombone. Bought my first bass in Jr high and never looked back.

5. Fatboy 2015

Fatboy 2015

Mar 13, 2015
    PART_1420645952436_IMG950186. admittedly, Im here as a former guitarist, dont get me wrong , I have allways found bass a very interesting intrument, and fooled around with them, but never had the cash to buy gear. After a horrific semi accident in the 1st week of Febuary, people cant belive I survived, let alone walked away, I was, left with about. 30% loss in the articulation of my left middle finger, making chording the smaller strings of my guitar, nearly impossible, and painfull, however I discovered working a Bass neck is somewhat comfortable, so in a way my misfortune provided me with the push needed, to get me rolling, onto new things of interesrt, rather than being all gloomy, thinking ill never play music again....a pluss I feel is the physical theripy of bass playing my help restore some or all of my articulation as well, hopefully allowing me to enjoy the guitar once again as well. But im excited by this new challange and look forward to enventually mastering the humungus 4 string beast.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have never played a guitar in my life. I've only picked one up a couple of times and didn't have any interest in even holding it.

7. I went from classical guitar as well, about 2 years worth of lessons and got pretty decent at the time. I agree that electric bass is a lot closer to classical guitar then to electric guitar.

I fiddled with electric a bit before starting bass but it never really gelled with me.

8. stevecaronna

stevecaronna Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    I have a few nice guitars, 68 Gibson 335, Fender Strat, Martin Acoustic but I am a bass player when I am in a band. I have fun playing guitar but have never played in a band. Too many guitar players around and not enough bass players keeps me in business. I can hold my own at an acoustic jam playing my Martin and at home in my studio I play my strat on my songs but I love playing bass and that is what I make money doing anyway.

9. I bought a guitar. And promptly converted it into a bass.

10. Paul Jackson

Paul Jackson

Mar 27, 2015
    I've played Bass since the early 70s but own a six-string acoustic that I try to play chords on. The reason I became a Bass player was that the friends I hung around with all played instruments and the only instrument that no one played was a Bass. That meant that if I wanted to play in the band that was forming, I needed to be the Bass player. I was very fortunate to be put in that position as I still play Bass and pleased to be one. I can see that learning other instruments might help your understanding of music, but if you want to be really good at something, choose one thing and give it your best.

BassFishingInAmerica likes this.
  11. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I hear this occasionally, but I don't think the distraction is worth the benefit, particularly for newbies. IMHO

12. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    It's poopiee! Only enough guitar to get arrested....

13. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    I started my first acoustic guitar lessons when I was 10 years old. I switched to bass about a year later. My brother played guitar and quit so I got his guitar (Les Paul copy) I focused more on bass. But, I also kept my guitar chops up. I continue to play both at a high level. But, bass will always be my main instrument. I voted equally good.

14. bassrich

bassrich

Nov 20, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    E, A, D, G, C, B, E7, E6, barre chords on E, A, D,

So, Soso but getting better

TMARK likes this.
  15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Love my Schecter. It has taught me a ton about my Sandberg, and vice-versa.

Strings, strings, strings! :thumbsup:

16. Great guitar players are not naturally good bass players. Any time a guitar player who doesnt play bass pickups up my bass they look very awkward and dont know what to do when they have all that wide space and distance between notes. I played bass originally but after 3 years of playing bass I picked up guitar now 9 years later on guitar I am decent, but I practice bass way more. I could play a good rhythm guitar but leads are always just to much for me, all that note bending and speed really messes me up I have been working on some GNR solos for 10 months.

17. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Peoria, AZ
    Played guitar for most of my youth along with drums, piano and trombone, entered into the classical guitar program at a community college (which actually has a classical guitar program believe it or not) and was also playing guitar for a T.O.P style funk band to earn money at night and on weekends. Then the Jazz instructor asked if I would play bass on their Monday night community jazz band, made up mostly of professional horn players who wanted to play big band jazz, of which there are few opportunities. It was everything I had learned up to that point applied to one instrument, bass. Finger style from classical guitar, reading bass clef from t-bone, theory from piano and rhythm from drums.

I still have a tele, start, 60RI les paul, an SG and, of course, the classical. They do come in handy when I get the chance to fill in at a church or sit in with friends. It's fun and enjoyable even though I would identify myself as a bass player for the past 25 years.

As of now I refer to them as "short scale six-string piccolo basses with altered tuning"

18. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I'm nothing more than a chord strummer, I am a much better bass player than guitar player, but I don't think I am all that great at either one. I am a pretty good builder/tech though.

19. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    everyone starts on guitar, if they started when they were young as their hands were not large enough to properly play a bass, electric or acoustic. I played guitar for a hour and bass for a hour today. I was re-doing the electronics and setting up a friends guitar and the tele just had to be played. I also play guitar to show my guitarist the correct chords and rhythm when needed... just the way it is unfortunately at this time. Those who write may play not only guitar and bass, but keys and possibly drums as well.

20. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    wow, that is a interesting and new post. glad that playing those heavy strings has helped in a P.T. way! keep at it brother!

Fatboy 2015 likes this.