How's your local 'Gee See' doing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Crater, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Earlier this week, I went to the local outlet of America's big-box music store. I had been there maybe a month or two earlier to buy strings, things seemed normal at that time. But this week, sheeeesh... The store has the retail "smell of death" about it. The store and displays have been re-arranged so the merchandise is more spread out. It looks like things aren't being re-stocked.

The books section was apparently dismantled and modular teaching studios installed in that corner of the store. Strings were moved from behind the display counter to a 'self serve' area on the sales floor, and it seems like the string selection is much less than it was. Some displays in the "Pro Audio" area were wrapped up in shrink wrap with a "this display closed" sign taped to it.

I asked my bandmate if he'd been to a gee see lately (there's 3 in my immediate area) and he described the same situation at another store. I know lots of people dislike this chain, but I'd be sad if it closed.

Between competition from Amazon, Reverb and Sweetwater, this would be a tough time to be in the musical instrument selling business. Have you been to your local chain music store lately? Do things look normal, or does it appear they're circling the drain?

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I journeyed in to town a few weeks ago, San Antonio in fact, and checked out our local GC as well as the Sam Ash across the loop. Your description fits fairly well with the exception of the "this display closed" section- didn't notice that. It was pretty obvious that their stock was down, but not too bad. This was probably six or eight weeks ago. Two weeks ago my bandmate/gp friend called me because he was looking for a MIDI controller and Sam Ash was completely sold out. He ended up with a used one from GC, so obviously supplies must be a bit scarce. Let's see how all this plays out.
    (Good news is, I'm off to my third gig in three weeks at an outside restaurant in Fredericksburg in a couple hours, and the building for my new studio was delivered yesterday, so the rest of summer looks to be a pretty busy time for me. Thankfully.
    I've grown quite tired of all the, um, madness. Though I never get tired of THIS Madness!
    )

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Go to any big box store and take a close look at stock on the shelves. If they are like those around here, every one of them are low on inventory and for some odd reason one of the local Lowes locations has shut down their panel saw due to covid.

4. I cannot even visit my nearest GC. From Vancouver, BC Canada. My nearest location is in Bellingham, WA. The border crossing is still closed due to C19.

5. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Haven't been to my local GC in a couple years. I'm lucky because we have great instrument stores on the north side of Chicago--Chicago Music Exchange, Bass Club Chicago, and Rock'n'Roll Vintage.

That said, I don't think the dwindling stock is necessarily a negative reflection on GC. People on lockdown seem to be buying instruments at a pretty good clip, and due to restrictions in some shops, builders just can't keep up.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  6. If not for this lousy 2020, I wanted to schedule a vacation to Chicago with my wife. She got excited and started thinking about 'tourist-stuff.' My ulterior motive is to visit Bass Club Chicago and Chicago Music Exchange.

Hey, while in Chicago, where am I going for pizza? I'm sort of leaning toward The Squared Circle because I've also been a wrestling fan all my life.

7. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    That's too bad, 2020 blew a hole in our vacation plans as well. FYI, we spent 2 days (well, closer to 36 hours) in Vancouver in 2018 as part of a Pacific Northwest trip. We stayed right by BC Place. Didn't have nearly enough time, but we got some great seafood downtown, went to Gastown, had a Japadog, got some very good dim sum near the West End, and crossed a rope bridge (not the one that charges a lot, this was more off the beaten path). Then we caught a ferry to Victoria and went on a whale-watching tour, which was awesome. We really enjoyed the area and hope to return to explore Stanley Park (it was raining hard at the time we'd planned to go) and other spots.

Chicago pizza: I've never been to Squared Circle, but I'm afraid it shut down. If you want thin crust, I recommend Piece--really good pizza and a microbrewery in a fun area. For deep dish, we typically get delivery and stick with one of the big names, Lou Malnati's. When we're all on the other side of this nightmare, feel free to shoot me a PM for any other recommendations.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. @GregC I’m glad you enjoyed yourself in Vancouver.

Sorry to hear that Squared Circle closed. If I’m in Chicago, I want to order deep dish style. Thanks for the recommendation of Lou Malnati’s. I’ll make a note of that.

GregC likes this.
  9. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I realized after posting this that just MAYBE, stocks are low because music stores have been swamped with customers? I'm not sure... I know for sure that my local bike shop has been gotten a tremendous boost in business since the COVID shutdown in March. There were waiting lines just to go IN for months, that's not the case now, but they still have replenished their stock of low and medium priced bicycles.

10. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Have yet to get to GC (I need strings) but every local shop is down on stock, big-box to small... Even my once-reliable local pawn shop has had a lot of bare shelves to pick through, and they say all of their locations are similar- music gear, electronics, camera stuff, firearms, almost all gone and the remains are crazy priced.
    A buying glut combined with supply-chain shortages makes for slim pickins' all over, not just at GC.

Crater and superblues like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021