Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's Your Parametric Settings???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 14, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wasup fellas,

after reading Kernpre's thread on the DB680, i've been tooling around a bit more with my DB680 parametric, too.

usually, i'm just boosting the low mids, and leaving the high mids alone. but i'm starting to realize i dunno how to cut frequencies.

do you turn down the cut knob and just spin the freq. knob, until things clear up, or are there particular frequencies i should take note of? any pointers?

other than the DB680, how are y'all using your parametric EQ'ed pre's?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A general comment:
    It's more difficult to identify attenuated frequencies than boosted frequencies. So turn up the level knob and sweep through the frequencies until you hear a frequency (frequency range to be exact) which you don't like (e.g. 'boxiness'). Now turn down the level knob - now you should have gotten rid of the annoying frequency...

Matthias

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Matthias has an excellent suggestion. That is what I sometimes do with the onboard sweep-mid on my Modulus Quantum 5.

When I use a parametric in my rig, I normally boost around 250Hz, and also in the treble range (whatever frequency best enhances the bass I happen to be playing that night).

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My BH-420 has a 4 band semi-parametric EQ.

I leave it flat. The amp sounds great that way. I buy basses that sound great with the amp that way... if they don't, I don't keep them. In my case I don't want to have to deal with having to tweak an amp to "fix" the sound of a particular bass.

Back in the day, when I did tweak EQs, the first thing to do was to try and figure out where the problem frequencies were located. Do I want clearer mids or more low end thump, do the highs sound airy or brittle, stuff like that. I've always believed it's better to cut than boost but as Matthias said, it's easier to recognize a frequency range when boosting as opposed to attenuating.