Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How's Your Skyline Treatin' You?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Aug 16, 2002.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    They've been available for a while now,so those of you who bought one when they first came out have probably had time to gig/record with them,and otherwise evaluate performance/comfort/durability in comparison to other instruments you own/know well.
    What's your verdict so far?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    dunno, long time no see Ray, have a bump on me

3. JazzV

JazzV

Feb 27, 2001
    So far so good. I've had my 55-02 since early April, and I've had no problems with it. The action was great right out of the gate, the best of any of my basses in fact. Since I also have a Jazz Deluxe V, I had to make some adjustments for the wider fretboard and the 35" scale, but in the long run it has helped my technique since I'm having to stretch a bit more.

I haven't yet restrung it, so I don't know what it will be like with different strings. I've been able to get lots of different tones, and it really seems to cut through. Mine's the natural finish with the maple fretboard. It gets about 70% of my playing time.

4. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    My band was playing in a battle of the bands (I have no idea why...) last week, and the day of our show, I find out that they have amps there for us to use. Not really knowing what to expect, I head to the show with my rig in tow and with my 55-01 that has the upgraded preamp. I get to the show and find out that they have and SVTIII with an 810 cab ready to go... good enough for me! The stage sound was great, I didn't run through anything else, just there rig... Everybody in the crowd said the bass sounded wonderful! The more and more I play my 55-01, I wonder why I haven't already picked up a 55-02!

P@

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a 55-01 in April, and it is now the favorite of my nine basses. I've been playing it exclusively on gigs lately, and the more I play it, the more I like it. The best purchase I've made in a long time.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Have had my 55-02 since the first week of Jan. this year.

Incredibly punchy, "raw" sounding bass (primo quality ash body and maple fretboard; strings used so far include factory Laklands, Pedulla roundwounds, DR Lo-Riders and DR "Marcus").

It lacks very few refinements such as threaded brass sleeves for control cavity screws.

An awful lot of cutting, edgy, bass tone for the money. "Fat and warm" are about the last adjectives I'd associate with its tonal characteristics using roundwounds. Through 10"s and decent wattage, it may cause bruising in the audience.

Neck width may be too much for some people but it sure wouldn't be the same bass if it was narrower.

I'd be hard pressed to find another new bass with as much to offer in the same price range.
    Lakin's customer service is exceptional!

It may not be pretty to look at but I have NO regrets about this purchase.

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks,CS,and thanks to all of you for your comments.
    I've had my own 55-02 since Memorial Day (end of May.) I share the general consensus so far,it's a very good bass,especially at the price.
    Mine is Cherry Sunburst w/Maple fretboard;the Ash body has a striking grain which the finish allows to show quite nicely.
    I gigged for 4 nights in a row with it last week through my GK1001rb head into an Ampeg bse410hlf and once I trimmed the lows a bit (the B on these basses is STRONG!) I was grinnin' and groovin'.
    The sound man was happy as well;he asked me what kind of bass it was and said that he didn't even need to EQ me 'cause what was comig out of the DI was already well balanced.
    One minor zit:the 2nd wave of Skylines comes with copies of the Hipshot tuners with the Tulip keys,and I gotta admit they look cooler than the generic tuners mine and all 1st gen. Skylines have.
    Mr.Lakin replied to my question about this stating that the faux Hipshots don't retrofit (post too large) but he'd sell me a set of REAL Hipshots for $80.
    BTW,a friend of mine has a 55-94 and sure it's bird's eye neck is prettier,but IMO there's much more difference in the price between his and mine than in the looks/feel/sound.
    I hesitated between the 01 and the 02 'cause of the $400 price gap but I've since spent more time on the 01 and have a definite pref. for the 02's sound.