How's your string dealers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This goes mostly for fellow European bassists, as I believe you can get almost any string in America, and even if its not available, then they will get it for you... Unlike here...

The thing that got me to write about this is this: I've been trying to get DR Lo-Riders 6 .030-.130 strings for some time now... only one chain of shops carries them, and they could be ordered in only one of those shops. So I had to go there a month ago and ask them. Since hardly anyone plays a 6 here, i knew they had to be ordered. There, they tried to sell me Elixirs and GHS, but I said no, thanks, they suck for slap; then said they had a shipment coming and told me that they will drop me a line if they can get it in that shipment. A month passed. Today I ring them, and they say that they cant get it, but again tried to get me to order their insanely-priced Elixirs from them... Werent they supposed to call me if they cant get it?!? :mad: i know they would be charging an awful lot for the strings, as they do with basses (talking about paying the double for a Fender or a MM), but this is getting ridiculous. They are doing nothing for the customers, but expect their huge profit-rates to be paid :spit: And this is so with most of the shops. You can hardly get any strings, and even if they are available, you have to wait a month or two till they order it for you!

Hows the situation elsewhere?
  2. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    well...i can't call myself european :D but...
    i know this stuff, there is a problem when you have a small market like music products and the costs of importing are high.
    in israel all the prices are list price + tax so if you have a 4 string set that sells 20$ street price in the u.s.a or even less, here it will be sold for 35$ or more...

the only option is buying from the websites or Ebay,
    try or others...and check your local import tax to know how much it will be worth to you.

good luck.