1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Howz it hangin ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by D-Bone, Oct 23, 2006.

1. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I'm still amazed at how low I used to play the bass as a teen. (You know, trying to look cool.) But now (20 years later) I find myself playing bass higher and higher up. Not to the point of having that "BASS-GEEK", "under my chin" stance, but you get the idea.

I see guys playing bass down almost at their knees! Where do you guys stap up to, and have you changed your height lately? Sometimes these little things vastly improves comfort and playabillity.

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Haha, I saw the title and thought this was another "Hey, how's it going?" thread.

I went from holding my bass too low, to too high, to a pretty nice balance, though I think it would still look low to most people. The real deciding factor was my right hand, which has given me a lot of pain. The way I play now, I can keep both hands mostly straight and my whole body is relaxed.

3. Right about where it is when I sit down to play. A little higher or a little lower depending on what style of music I'm playing but it doesn't vary much.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Although I've had to change the length of my strap over the years as my body has changed, I still wear my bass relativley high compared to the way some youngsters sling their axes at knee-level.

The height at which I wear my bass is, at least partially, a function of the shape of my bass body and its balance; but, it's mostly a function of the position of my hands and the angle at which both wrists are articulated when playing.

Since I don't slap, I can't comment on height-of-instrument v. length-of-strap relative to slapping.

5. I have my strap set where if I go from sitting to standing (or the other way around) the bass doesn't change height.

lowsound

6. same as sitting.

Sometimes if i see a bassist with his bass slung real low, in my head I automatically think that he can't be that good. However, i know there are some guys who can play it well that way.

7. My top horn comes up above my nipples. :p

I never played it incredibly low, but it started out around my stomach and kept creeping up and up until where it is now.

8. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    The middle of the top horn on my Rick 4003 is over my belly button. I have been expiramenting with heights a lot lately, trying to find what doesnt hurt my wrist (left hand), and I think this is it.

I see a lot of people saying that they wear it the same as sitting, but I find this is too high, in both looks and in feel. The blood drains from my arm if I have my bass to high, and my wrist bothers me when it is too low, so I think somewhere in between is perfect.

9. i have mine at my sitting height because I do most of my practicing sitting down and it is much more comfortable for me. I think it is much easier to navigate the full neck as well. When it is far away i feel that i definetly lose some right hand control, but maybe it is because i just don't practice with it that way.

10. As high as I can while still being able to breathe okay.

No seriously, I wear it pretty high, I find that my fret hand has more agility when my bass is higher. Its also true that my plucking hand looses a bit of agility, but I'd rather have more agility on my fret hand. Personal choice. Anyway, I'm adjusting my plucking technique taking that in count.

Big picture, almost all of my bass's body is above belt level.

11. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'd call it mid-high. Not low by a long shot, but not up around my neck. On a strap, it drops a couple of inches from where it is when I'm sitting.

12. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1. And I'm still a teenager :D

13. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    slightly lower than when i am sitting. basically, the middle of the bass is infront of my belly button.

14. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Slightly lower than sitting position for me as well. I should prolly crank it up a bit higher but I like the feel of it there.

-dash

15. same here a bit lower than whan im siting but only a inch or 2

16. Very low as ive gotta look cool(yes im still a teenager) i can play most stuff easily but at the moment im filling in for a bassist and he only does walking basslines

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    To the left.

18. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    the centre of the neck pickup on my jazz is roughly nads-height... which is not especially low compared to how I used to have it (by my knees)...

where I have it now is the most comfortable for me, because I broke my right arm a few years ago and cannot bend it very far

I think if you play mostly with a pick as I do, you can play it a lot lower more comfortably.. never had an issue with my left hand not being able to fret accurately & comfortably with the height I have it

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    if this trend continues your going to have to reach above your head to play the bass.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

And I keep my bass right under my chin-look at Mark King holding a Jaydee bass- thats how high I like to keep mine.