Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HOYER Bass. Info please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Jan 28, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Got this bass in an equipment deal.
    It is "Les Paul" style. Black with White binding. Rosewood with M.O.P. block inlays. Scale is 30".
    Although all the electronics are out of it I have a bag with what appears to be all the original electronics (2 pups, 4 knobs/pots, 1 switch). These parts seem to fit all the electronics opennings. The only thing missing is the truss rod cover. "Hoyer" is inlayed in M.O.P. in headstock (very Gibson-esque).

All I've found, so far, is that it is made by a German company known for making good instruments since as far back as the 60s. I would say this bass is from the 70s, at least.

This bass feels very substantial and sounds quite good acousticaly. It also has some of the most heavy duty, expensive looking tuning machines I've ever seen.

Any Info would be appreciated. I will take some more pix for any interested people to see since this piece will definetaly be for sale. Email me for more pix.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Please. Help. Anybody out there???

3. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks. At least their price listings give me a ballpark figure of what this might be worth.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I think these were made by the same company that used to be "Framus" in Germany.
    Hand made, very good quality - nice bass!

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes, it does seem to be very well made. It has some weight to it and feels very solid. Even though its only 30" scale, I'm surprised at how nice the acoustic tone is (the electronics are not installed). The only physical defects seem to be multiple scuffs and paint chips but since this thing is probably, at least, 30 years old thats to be almost expected.

If I don't find a buyer for it (someone who can fix her up) I'm going to keep the tuners and bridge. They look like they'ed last for centuries.

[​IMG]