Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hoyt bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brock29609, Jun 7, 2003.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Just won this Hoyt bass I can't wait for it to arrive. Anyone played one of Karl's basses?

[​IMG]

2. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It's very... tan :p

Nice looking bass there.

3. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The mango face is suppose to yellow with age.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I have not played one but I have heard very positive comments regarding them.

5. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Yea, I bought this bass on reputation, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Full review when you get it, please!

7. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Will do. It's coming USPS, so no telling when it will arrive.

8. who is Karl Hoyt? where is he located?

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Congratulations!! I've never heard of them... Please let us know how it is!!

10. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    He's out of Cape Code, Mass. Seems to have a great reputation with lots of pleased customers. I guess he's not that well known.

Here is the auction if you want more details on the bass that's coming my way.

Hoyt bass auction

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    He's a long-time member of another bass digest, and a very recent member (don't know how active) here. Very helpful (and funny) on that other forum.

12. You serious?!?! I live on cape code...er...cod. Do you know what town he's from?

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You could ask him...
    KH temp web page

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Karl’s a very nice guy and great builder. He doesn’t build real flashy basses which a lot of people like. He does mostly bolt-on’s. I’ve had about 3 of his basses come through in the past. All very nice basses!!
    Generally his basses run in the 600-1000 range so their very affordable and blow away anything normally you would buy in that range for sure. Karl also teaches a building class. I saw on the dudepit (where he‘s a member) a bunch of photo’s from his class. He’s got a nice show.

I believe he does a lot of acoustic building.

15. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    That is very nice. And, as mentioned above, Hoyt hangs on the Dudepit and posts regularly. You could find him there and probably ask anything you like.

16. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    So I guess the $485 I paid was not bad!

I don't have his address, but you can email him at khoyt@capecod.com.

I'll report back with a review once the bass arrives.

He has a fretless and a 5-string jazz up for auction now.

17. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
  18. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The bass arrived and WOW! I've never played such a great neck in my life. I have the action set super low and I can fly up and down every string on every fret without a hint of buzz. I've never felt a neck that was so stable. 5 bolts. I wish I could have him make a neck for all my basses. The thin contoured body is a pleasant change from my boxy Reverend. And man is it light. The thing practacally plays itself. I plan on adding some more sielding. She hums a little. Haven't made up my mind on the Razor pickups. I may change the pot setup, adding a bypass switch that will give me a direct pickup-to-jack option. Tone is good. Not great, but very good. Planned mods may change the sound to fit my taste a little more. Love the Schaller bridge and Gotoh tuners. Playability is definitely this bass' strength. I'd recommend one of these to anyone.

19. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    thanks for the nice comments, brock

I personally like the Razor pickups's sound, though I too am not sure that I would use them exclusively for a production run of passive basses
    (which is something I'm considering building over the next year: a mess of reasonably priced 1000-1200.00 'working guy's' basses)

as for playability, I hope that my 30 years of slugging it out in the bars and at weddings and bar-mitzvah's etc.... shows through in the ergonomics of my basses. My main goal when I started out building instruments was to make solid COMFORTABLE basses for we poor schlubs out there WORKING with our instruments. I see too many 'boutique' basses that are too damned heavy, too pretty or don't feel right. My way of thinking is to build basses that you want to play constantly.

so far, it seems to be working:

thanks again for your nice commentary:

Karl Hoyt

(p.s..... and yes I am again taking on a limited number of commissions. who knows, I may even get one of them there fancy webpages before too long)

hi Brian.....what's this about spelling problems? when I first met you you were a COLLEGE student!!!(how is that for the typical teacher browbeating of a student?)

and Nick B.... I'm in Harwich: I teach at Nauset High School (and my son is one of Shawn's students' too)

20. brock29609

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I think the main reason I'm changing the pickups is because I can't help but tinker with things. Since I can't find any other flaw, I had to change something! ;)