1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HPF, DI, Impedance Switching, Swiss Army Knife from Broughton Audio

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by sevenyearsdown, Mar 21, 2019.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I've had Broughton stuff in my arsenal for quite a while now. This looks like to be a very upright-centric piece of gear. Everything he builds is always top notch. If I didn't already have all of this stuff in my rig, I might spring for one.

Oh and for those of you who are always wondering about variable input impedance......here you go.

Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.18.32 AM.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/high-pass-filter-di

Zbysek, equill, leonard and 12 others like this.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yes, please! I hope that means this coming May.

3. Seems like a cool little piece of gear, apparently even a preamp.

What’s appealing is while apparently featuring everything one would need for, say, an Ehrlund pickup (preamp, Phase switch, the optimum impedance setting) it additionally offers a di for those of us who play oldish amps (like myself) where no DI is built in.

I’ll probably give it a try once it’s out.

Best
    Sidecar

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  4. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    employee Gollihur Music
    I don't often get excited about gear, but this excites me.

5. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    This looks great, and I've been eyeing up the Broughton gear for a good long while.

The selfish part of me wishes he was able to incorporate the phase and impedance options of this DI with all of the bells of his Messenger EQ/DI.

The super selfish part of me wishes for the above minus the boost function (mute instead), but with the ability to turn off/off the HPF/LPF (for when you need to own the hose at the end of a gig) and the option to turn off/on the three band EQ.

Zbysek likes this.
  6. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    He has been known to customize one offs for people.

Pat Harris likes this.
  7. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    bass183 and Mushroo like this.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Threads merged, will put Broughton name in title for easier searching.

9. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Thanks, I had not seen this thread or any mention of this in the DB side.

10. jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Yes, a Messenger with the variable impedance input. I do like my Messenger on BG

11. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    Hmmm... how does this compare to the fdeck? I'm guessing it's much better by looking at it. Just wondering.

12. Uh uh, the lure of "it looks as it sounds good".

13. cdavisshannon

cdavisshannon

Jun 11, 2014
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    employee Gollihur Music
    The specs of the high pass filter are similar, but this is a full fledged preamp and DI. The Fdeck is a high pass filter with a volume control (and does not add any gain if I recall correctly). Different beasts.

bass183 likes this.
  14. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    No knocks on the fdeck from me, because I think it's that product that lead to products like this one. However the Broughton stuff is next level to the fdeck. It's much more functional for the gigging musicians, and surprisingly affordable for Boutique quantity production levels.

Zbysek likes this.
  15. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Good luck trying to buy one when they come out

saltydude and Mushroo like this.
  16. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Pro tip: Log in to your PayPal account ahead of time, so it doesn't slow you down at checkout.

17. Still, I suppose one could not rule out that on a side by side test, the fdeck might hold its own sonic wise, allthough it has fewer features (or perhaps because of).

18. bass183

bass183

Apr 22, 2014
    Thanks. I did just purchase a fdeck series 2. I figure for the price, it's something worthwhile to have in my gig bag. My quest for a great tone and for a quality setup for eb & db doubling gigs will continue, I'm sure. When this Broughton comes out, I'll keep an eye out for reviews. The price is really great. And perhaps another necessary item for the ole gig bag.

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I would probably buy one for the impedance loading and HP filter in a single box. I don't care so much about the preamp function, but I like that it can be easily set at null or to give whatever gain is needed to get the proper input signal.

Zbysek likes this.
  20. sevenyearsdown

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I don't think that this box is intended to be a standalone preamp, but more a piezo buffer on steroids. There's no tone shaping onboard.