HPF options?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JACink, Jul 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Other than the Fdeck HPF-Pre (which I believe would work for this situation), can anyone suggest any other small High Pass Filters?

This is to be placed after a Meatbox running into a DI box, to remove the extra sub frequencies after the FOH feed but before it goes into my amp/cab.

The smaller (and cheaper ;) ) the better. It would be great if it is adjustable, but I won't need to adjust it once I find the correct setting (which I could work out first with a xover if needed), so I am also open to fixed frequencies if they are around the 37 to 45Hz mark.

Zbysek likes this.
  2. fuzzyhead

fuzzyhead

Mar 5, 2014
    I'm in the same boat. Broughton Audio makes one. I've never used it (yet) but I've heard many many great things about it. When I get one, this will be my pick. I messaged him about one and I'm sure it'll suit your needs. I'll let him tell you all about it though. Just send @Azure Skies a pm and he'll be happy to help you.

3. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    There is also the sfx micro thumpinator. Fixed frequency at 30 hz I believe. Fairly small.

Rickter, chaak, ExaltBass and 4 others like this.
  4. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Also there may be a person building custom guitar fx in your area. HPF is not a very sophisticated circuit, it shouldn't be a problem for your average electronics engineer.

JACink likes this.
  5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    spectracomp multiband comp and make your own tone print. you can choose a frequency to cut the volume at completely. there you have yourself a cheap hpf and even lpf if you wanted to at the same time

Steve-Mo and JACink like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Broughton Audio of course. I use two of them (one for each board).

VFE Standout
    Standout mid booster

7. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Thanks but I think that 30Hz may be a little too low for what I am hoping to eliminate. I guess I will run my setup through the PC, once the Meatbox turns up, to work out exactly what frequencies I need to remove before it hits the Rumble.

8. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    The Spectracomp is one of the alternatives I am considering as a compressor, I guess it could work in this situation also, but it seems a little complex just to use as an HPF.

9. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Looks like he makes some very nice stuff, but again, a little complex (and expensive) for what I need in this situation. Thanks though :thumbsup:

10. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I did think about just building one myself. To be honest, I would prefer something premade and save me the hassle, but it is definitely an option if I don't find anything that suits.

11. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    A question for the gurus...

Would their be any difference in the circuit design for an HPF for instrument level (Hi Z) vs line level?

(consider this will be at the end of the line of effects)

12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just buy the Fdeck Series 3 and be done with it....the variable HPF makes it the hands-down winner IMO. I find myself adjusting it bass-by-bass to bring out the sweet spot in each. It does make a difference!

Riis

tom-g, Gaolee, Chef and 4 others like this.
  13. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a fDeck series 3. You would be surprised how much low-end you can filter out in your bands live mix before it sounds to thin. I'm probably set around 80hz right now.

MDBass, Gaolee, BassikLee and 2 others like this.
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Why don't you just get an FDeck?? Is there some reason why it wouldn't work for you? I got a series 1 for like $40 used on here. It meets all your requirements......kind of a no brainer no?

I keep mine stuck to the bottom edge of my board. out of sight out of mind. But I know it's there helping me protect my woofers.

Engle and jchrisk1 like this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    FDeck- top of the line.

Zbysek and Gaolee like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Thumpinator is an (IMO) overly expensive device for what it is. It's just a fixed frequency HPF afterall. You can get an equally high quality adjustable HPF for much less money.

I just use my Broughton HPF. Happily sits anywhere in my signal chain and has enough grunt to drive the IN jack in an effects loop if I put it there. Josh did a little something on mine to make sure it would work in any effects loop I put it in. That sort of attention to details is alone reason enough to consider Broughton Audio in my book.

Money well spent from where I sit. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:

17. bass12

bass12 Grace under pressure Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Another vote for the Broughton.

Zbysek and Michael Schreiber like this.
  18. I'm thinking of PM'ing @Azure Skies about a Broughton HPF, maybe in a combo with his LPF (he is semi-local to me). Had some bad experiences with boomy stages lately and want to try this. Also, HPFs seem highly recommended over at the greenboy forum for fEARful cabs, which I plan to build.

Question though: Where is the best place to put this in the chain? I currently only have a preamp (Aggie Tonehammer) and a tuner. I was thinking of putting it after the preamp. That way I could send a post-EQ DI to the PA and still have a volume control (on the HPF) to tweak the volume on my cab. The attenuater on my power amp (Crest Prolite) isn't really a volume control, and I don't like tweaking the gain on the preamp after we get the FOH sound right which happens if I send a "post" rather than "pre" signal.

Does it make sense to put this after the preamp?

Zbysek likes this.
  19. Azure Skies

Azure Skies Commercial User

Mar 21, 2012
    Toronto
    Businessman and EE Importer/Exporter Broughton Audio
    The HPF and LHPF can handle line signals fine, so that would work. However, the gain control on the LHPF is not a volume control, it is a boost. It varies from unity to +20 dB.

Michael Schreiber and pbassjbass like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021