1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HPF Options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Apr 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I love my microThumpintor. It lives under my board so it takes up no space. I never have a need to turn it off.

Stumbo and BassikBrad like this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Don't see the Headway product mentioned here. Useful device - it's a PReamp/DI balanced out with 3 band EQ, Phantom power, volume control, mute switch, input impedence selection (3 settings), and a sweepable HPF from 40 - 300Hz.

Stumbo likes this.
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Tad likes this.
  4. It might work for you but it's hell crude. An adjustable like HPF3 lets you boost a simple bass knob while knocking down undesired flab.

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    IMG_5828.jpg

My FDeck HPF-3 lives under my board. It's an always on pedal that I've used for pretty much every show since I got it...far enough back that it's actually an original pre production proto of the model that Dave Green gave me as a wedding gift in 2012.

It doesn't clean up your bass tone, it cleans up the room. I repeatedly and regularly have sound engineers tell me how good my live sound is and how perfect it is in any given room. I credit the FDeck. I'm doing what most soundmen are doing at the board...HPFing in the 30's. Your rig plays better with the FOH, there's not nearly as much room rumble problems...and honestly, you can play louder without complaints. It's really the secret weapon in my setup that only I know about.

It doesn't feel or sound like you're missing any lows...besides what people mistake for deep lows often aren't. They're just really heavily boosted stuff in that 60-100hz range.

I don't doubt that Josh's stuff is equally good, either. I just happen to have had this one forever plus several hundred gigs in a wide variety of venues.

*also the HPF3 is 24db per octave when set at its lowest. If you pull the adjustable filter up, you're just adding a 2nd knee to the filter and you get 12db at one frequency and another 12 at a second one. You're still getting 24 DB, just not at the same place.

6. LoL

7. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    What about position in the fx chain? Lacking experience or knowledge my best guess was to place mine right before the preamp, which is the last pedal before the power amp. Any pedals I may use would come before it. How are the rest of you setting it up?

8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I am a pedalboard "noob" (until recently I was a "bass, to cord, to amp" guy) so please don't pay too much attention to my advice:

I heard that pedalboard people were paying $20-100 for something called a "buffer" pedal. Lo and behold, my always-on HPF pedal is also "input impedance 1MΩ ... output impedance 100Ω" which means it is also an always-on buffer. I run it first in my signal chain, before even my true-bypass tuner. It works fine at 9v, but I just bought a power supply that can go to 18v. The Broughton website says: "Higher voltages will provide more clean headroom." I will give it a try and report back. To be clear, I have no complaints at 9v; this is purely a thought experiment. :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Zbysek and Ellery like this.
  9. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Thanks, I use a Broughton Always-On and power it with 9 volts. I read the Broughton site as well and have wondered if i would notice any difference at higher voltages.

Mushroo likes this.
  10. I had asked about this when I got my Broughton HPF and the advice was to stick to 9v.

Ellery likes this.
  11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Last in my signal chain before the amp. That way any pedals that you use that create their own infrasonic or subsonic content get that stuff removed. For example, synth pedals or envelopes that dip extra low (I'm lookin' at you Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe).

Yep. But there's a few things to consider. If you're putting it at the end of your signal chain it may be too late to 'help' any impedance related treble roll off, if you've got a fair amount of cable between bass and pedalboard and a good amount of pedals before it. You're not going to add the treble that's rolled off back in. I've had a HPF at the end of my board signal chain for a long time...but it was a noticeable difference when I got a pedal that has a buffer at the front of my pedal signal chain...and that was with an active bass which already buffers signal.

Ellery likes this.
  12. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Zbysek and tradernick like this.
  13. What about putting a high pass filter through the effects loop?

14. Hmm, I notice that when I play out with my Gallien Krueger 700RBII & 4x10 Neo cab, the sound is very dark & deep & lacks clarity. I bought an amp stand, that puts the cab 24" off the ground & it does help some. In our practice space, I play through a 2x10 that is nearly 4 feet off the ground, nearer to ear level & sounds more defined.

I wonder if a high pass filter might help give that sound more definition. Hmm..

Stumbo likes this.
  15. what about it? Can do if the unit works at line level. Otherwise no.

16. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Some do it this way...AFAIK

17. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    IIRC, the 4-string/5-string button on your GK head is the key to the built-in HPF. If you push the button in (5-string), then I believe it either defeats the HPF or at least lowers the shelving frequency substantially.

Zbysek likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    How is your eq set?

Which bass are you using?

Would you be able to borrow another amp to test out?

19. Depending on the room, bass is around 10.5 o'clock, low mid & high mid around 1.5 - 2 & high around 1. Using an MIA jazz bass as of late.

20. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've asked this before in another thread and never got an answer.
    I have the f'Deckit III and love it.
    I also used a Broughton unit but only for a quick test.

I too have an SWR SM400 which I believe has very little or no low frequency filtering.
    I don't recall hearing any difference between the 2 brands.
    I was thinking the additional filtering of the f'Deck would make an audible difference.
    Has anyone else compared the two and/or have any thoughts on this?

I think you will find that the most good amps won't need it.
    The SWR is a rare bird and much like early Crown DC300's.
    They operate more like laboratory equipment and will allow frequencies below what loudspeakers can produce.
    My SWR lived in the garage for many years before HPF became available.
    Previously you could only find them in consoles or rack mounted equipment.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021