HPF/Parametric EQ/Boomy Room

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdh3000, Oct 13, 2019.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Over the last few years I've been using the Empress ParaEq to some success, but I still run into some problem areas that I can't seem to fix.

Could I, or should I try an adjustable high pass filter? Is this something that can be run in tandem with the paraeq, or would I be conflicting frequencies? Should that be used separately?

Does the HPF help with this for you?

Also in some rooms I can easily lose a note, meaning it doesn't come out as loud...... Does HPF help that? Would a LPF help with higher notes that gwt soaked up?

I am specifically talking about what a room or stage does, since notes are ringing even at home and it changes from stage to stage.

Thanks!

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

There is absolutely no problem using an HPF with the Empress. It's actually a great combination.

The HPF is a different type of EQ from the Empress. When using an Adjustable HPF you can dial out the mud frequencies that cause problems with your tone and put unnecessary stress on the speakers.

And as you state the sound changes from room to room and that unfortunately has to be dealt with on an individual basis and there's no one formula that addresses the problem. It's one of those things that requires trial and error, and experience.

I don't use a dedicated LPF but I can't imagine how that would enhance the upper frequencies.

One possible approach is to attenuate other frequencies that may interfere with the perception of the higher frequencies.

One common technique used by audio pros is to dial down one frequency in order to enhance another frequency or frequencies. Rather than boosting a frequency which is what most of us do.

Al Kraft and Zbysek like this.
  3. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes, why not? Yes, it can be run together. No, it does not need to be used separately.

What exactly do you mean by "this"? HPF can help you with lows...it will not help with other problematic frequencies..

Yes, that can happen. No, neither HPF not LPF will help with that...in general.

Yes, sound is different in different rooms. There are tools which might help you with this: parameric EQ (you already have one), graphic EQ, notch filter, HPF, LPF.

You can use any of these in order to overcome the acoustic differences of different stages.

My take on this: get used to it. Bass sounds different in different environments-that's the way it is. I have actually learnt to enjoy the variedness (to some extent) and stoped hunting the "bedroom sound" while ago.

jdh3000 likes this.
  4. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Sorry about what I wasn’t clear on... just asking if it was something if HPF held with the booming, which you answered.

I’ve been playing bass off and on for 40 years(back n forth with guitar), haven’t gotten used to it by now. I’m not looking for a bedroom sound, just the best possible sound onstage, and yes I should get used to it, but something in me keeps searching for a fix.

I appreciate all the advice. Up til a few years ago I just had an amp and a bass. Never could get rid of that boom, other bass players I knew didn’t seem to know, then I started asking questions on here.

Thanks!

5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    If it is the boom you want to deal with, then get HPF by all means.

Broughton or FDeck are probably the most favourite ones.

Good luck and let us know what you think once you had a chance to try it.

jdh3000 likes this.
  6. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I’ve been looking at the Broughton HPF/LPF combo... they are out of stock but I could just get the HPF and if it works for me I could add the LPF if I think it could help with some other frequencies. Not as much of an issue ash the boom, but would like to see what it does.

I’ll let you know... thanks again!

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    As others have stated there is no problem using a HPF with any type of EQ and some good reasons to have that tool handy when dealing with troublesome venues. You may also like how the HPF can be used to enhance the tone shaping options with your current EQ capabilities, even if the venue is not acoustically challenging.

jdh3000, Zbysek and Stumbo like this.
  8. I've used either the HPF on the Radial PZed-Pre or Fdeck in conjunction with Empress' ParaEQ on my board for a few years, though lately I'm trying a minimalist FDeck & Tuner arrangement.

Different rooms have different hotspots and frequency points, but I've also experienced at a residency gig a great sound one week, go back the next week with the same settings dialled in and had horrible sound... different barometric pressure, different humidity levels, different ambient noise levels from the audience from one week to the next...

Good sound always seems to be a moving target, so best arm yourself to the teeth... if a graphic machine gun doesn't help, try a para-EQ RPG...

jdh3000 and Zbysek like this.
  9. I was thinking about this (part of this, the different note/volume part, as I use a B'ton HPF) during a gig last weekend - I was thinking I wasn't hearing certain notes because of dead spots on the neck.

jdh3000 likes this.
  10. "A fix" does exist, but it will vary from room to room, there isn't "the one" fix.
    So go ahead, try, and gain experience! That's how you evolve from a good bassist to a good gigging bassist.

11. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    This seems to happen a lot in a couple of different places... One place it seems line if a chair is moved it throws everything out of whack...

Zbysek likes this.