1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HPF - together with preamp, enhancer, exciter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plangy, Mar 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dear TalkBass,

First, big thank you for the ton of info regarding everything.
    I am still curious about one thing - if the HPF setting should be somewhere around 40 Hz (lets not discuss the number) and the preamps has the bass section somewhere around 20-40 Hz, does it make any sense to use it, meaning bass boosting?
    The same for the enhancers, exciters.

I am just thinking if it is reasonable to use any of the bass boost if I am going to filter it by HPF anyway.

And the last thing - sorry for my grammar, I am not a native speaker.

eriky4003 likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    When you use a HPF, it cuts out subsonic lows aka "mud". So, if you set it for 40hz (or, better yet, at your cab tuning frequency), any bass tone control you use will modify the hz above that, allowing you to boost/cut the good stuff.:thumbsup:

FYI, same with an LPF for the highs.

plangy, eriky4003 and GMC like this.
  3. Thanks for the answer.
    If you say my HPF should be better on my cab tuning frequency, does it mean I should also want the filter slope to be set more steep to be able to filter out as much "mud" as possible?
    Just to be sure - the cab tuning frequency is the value mentioned as the frequency response (the lower one)?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021