1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HPF usage and Octave Pedal Interaction

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmone, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Toronto
    So I've been seeing that people say a HPF would help tighten and fatten up your tone by removing the inaudible low end - great, sound like something I could use.

I understand the notion of maybe saving your speakers from trying to produce very low frequencies, or making a smaller cabinet sound louder, but I'm running an Ampeg 810 and rarely ever pushing the thing to it's limits.

But then counter-intuitively I unanimously see people recommending it be placed after an Octave pedal? Wouldn't that undo the work of the octave pedal? Wouldn't you want to remove the nonsensical sub frequencies from your bass and then reintroduce the more "pure" ones produced from an Octave pedal.

Is there something I'm not understanding?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yes, after. You want to strip out the flab that your cabinet cannot reproduce.

If you place it before, the octave pedal would not have a full range signal to work with, and if the pedal did work it would still generate sub harmonics.

But as with any pedal, there are no rules and you can try it both ways.

3. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Toronto
    Fair, but how about those sub tones that are more 'felt rather than heard' from the sub octave. Are you making a decision to do one or the other by having a HPF in your rig?

Or am I not understanding where those frequencies actually are.

4. Ampeg 810 specs:

Frequency Response (-3dB): 58Hz-5kHz
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40Hz

The Thumpinator for example rolls off everything under 30Hz that you would neither hear nor feel, but would just be wasted energy potentially damaging your speakers or limiting your maximum volume.

jmone likes this.
  5. How low can PA subs go?

6. mmbongo

Yes I have a Broughton HPF on each of my boards, and Micro POG octaves. HPF is always after.

jmone likes this.
  7. mmbongo

It can vary of course, but 50-60hz limit is safe.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My HPF is last in my signal chain after my Pitch Fork and OC-2, and I use Ampeg 810e's or cabs tuned similarly to an 810e, and it's fine.

jmone likes this.
  9. jmone

jmone Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Toronto
    Thanks for the input everyone

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

With a HPF you basically filter out the frequencies your cab and amp can't reproduce. It should have no negative effect on the sound, and may make things sound even bassier since your amp and cab are now operating more efficiently.

FWIW I put mine in the effects loop most times - so it really is dead last in my signal chain.

jmone likes this.