1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HQ recording of my band Chromatropic opening for Dopapod @ Music Hall of Williamsburg

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RedMoses, Oct 2, 2013.

1. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    My band Chromatropic opening for Dopapod @ Music Hall of Williamsburg last Saturday night, someone took an HQ recording of it, The 550 person venue sounded fantastic, the subs rattled the walls when the Octave Pedal was engaged!

Let me know what you think...

http://archive.org/details/chromatropic2013-09-28.bsc2.flac24

2. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    82 views but no comments?

Im Curious what you guys think about the band, the Bass tone, playing...

3. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow, I really enjoyed that! Thanks for posting, you guys are definitely kindred spirits to Dopapod (I love those guys...posted a thread here when they were giving away Redivider...not many replied to that one either...one, actually...hmmm.)

GREAT playing all around, I am going to grab the FLAC files and listen to them on my "good" system soon (little late tonite to crank).

Personally, I really like your playing and the round tone you're sending to the board is sweet. What is your rig? Much like your photo on the page, you play primarily at the heel of the neck?

All in all, good stuff. You've got a fan here.

4. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Thanks for the kind words man! I guess you get a lot of check out my band posts around here and its hard to choose which one to listen to, so i appreciate your taking the time on us.

That pic was taken at a specific point in a the song "Nectar Shuffle" when things get really mellow and i was plucking high up the neck to get an Upright Bass tone but the rest of the time i have the Bass slung pretty low and i anchor my thumb over the P pick up.

The Bass is a Marco PJ4, Cortez Hand wound the pick ups based on a few Paul Jackson recordings i sent him, they are fantastic and punchy and pick up finger nuances with great detail.

The signal runs through a Radial Tone Bone Pre, Aguilar TLC Comp (always on), I use an Aguilar Octomizer when i want some Synth Booty and a Wooly Mamouth sparingly. Ive got some Synth pedals but i rarely use them live as they can be unpredictable. That night i was sharing a Walter Wood/AE 4x10 Rig and my signal went to front of house at a direct box before the amp. The venue had some MONSTER Subs and when that Octomizer was engaged the entire house would shiver, it put a huge smile on my face.

5. not normally what i would listen to, but that was pretty cool. good playing all around and a groove deep and wide enough to lay down and take a nap in......if you weren't to busy enjoying the jam. i also liked that there were good dynamics in the tunes, not just a bunch of wankery. sometimes, cats who can play get caught up in showing off instead of playing good tunes, not here though. thanks for sharing!

6. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Thank you sir, That is the highest form of compliment, we try hard to keep a Jazz sensibility about the music but groove is always paramount. Instrumental music that is too cerebral can alienate a large part of any audience and at that point it becomes an exercise in musical masturbation.

7. who gets it? this guy.....^^^

8. Icculus

Icculus

Jul 29, 2010
    Brotherly Love
    Enjoying this recording right now. I searched Dopapod and found this thread, now I'm listening to your band (funny how the internet does that).

Sounds great.

9. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC