1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HSC for Ibanez SRC6 "Crossover" 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mustang Surly, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Ibanez customer service informs me that none of their HSCs, including the MB300C (which fits other "SR" basses) will work for the SRC6: they only offer a gig bag. No big loss, since I'm no fan of molded cases anyway.

I have read elsewhere that the SCR6 fits well in a Gator GW-JAG. Can anyone here confirm or debunk this notion based on first-hand experience?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Here are the dimensions of the Gator GW-JAG case. If somebody who has a SRC6 could check them against his bass's dimension, I'd appreciate it. I don't have an SRC6 to do it myself, but am considering getting one.

Wn0SArS.

3. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Nobody?

4. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    *crickets*

I know these have at least a niche following: can anyone here help a guy out?

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    that interior overall length of 42" should fit, since the SRC6 length is 41.5".

I'm not much of a HSC person. I was, when I started playing bass in the late 80s, but Now I'm using a gigbag all the way. So, I've never searched any HSC for my SRC6.

Ever since I got my SRC6, I've been using my long scale electric bass gigbags when I need to carry it around (Mono M80 Dual, Gruv Gear Gigblade, or a local product) with additional foam padding that I got from Gruv Gear to compensate the shorter length (so that its headstock wouldn't be caught in the neck support, in case I'm using the Mono's which has unmovable neck support).

I'm actually searching for better fit gigbag for the SRC6. What I've tried so far are few Gruv Gear guitar gigbags:
    1. Gigblade2 for standard electric guitar: the interior wasn't long enough, so the zipper couldn't be closed;
    2. Gigblade2 for semi-hollow body guitar: the overall length was adequate, but the interior lower bout width was too big, so it was far from snug fit. I'm afraid the SRC6 would rattle around inside when carried;
    3. Sliver for electric guitar: the length was sufficient, but it didn't have enough thickness to hold any guitar with tilted back headstock, including the SRC6. Thus, the neck was too tight inside and the upper part of the gigbag was bent when I closed the zipper. So, the gigbag wouldn't be much protecting the guitar inside, especially the headstock part.
    As for now, I'm waiting for local Mono distributor to have the M80 Single Electric guitar or the M80 Vertigo Electric Guitar back in stock. I have to try it first since according to Mono's website, the interior length for these two is 41.5", which is exactly the same as SRC6 length, whether it's going to be too tight or not.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm thinking the GW-JAG case may be too wide @ 14.5". The SRC6 might rattle around in there without additional padding. I have a Mustang Bass case that might actually be a better fit: the interior is as long but it's about 2" narrower inside. We shall see.

Thanks for your reply.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yes, the lower bout of the SRC6 is about 12¾" wide, so 14½" wide interior might need additional padding to keep it from rattle around inside when carried.

8. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I'll post back when I've tried the Mustang case for fit.

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    IMG_20171126_1410061.

SRC6 in Mono M80 Dual Electric Bass with extra paddings from Gruv Gear

10. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    The Mustang Bass HSC (Fender's) is a pretty good fit: a couple inches too long and the neck cradles will need a little extra padding but the interior width is perfect. The Gator GW-JAG is definitely too wide, so I'm glad I didn't buy it. I'd be surprised if there aren't some solid-body electric guitar cases that would also work. The SRC6 is pretty tiny (if you're used to even short scale bases). It almost feels smaller than a Mustang.

11. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The SRC6 has body outline which more or less is similar with SR basses in general. I took a picture of my SRC6 and my SRF705 side by side:

IMG_20170530_1948406_zpspcgnhywj.

And with the SRFF806, the size of SRC6 headstock is also almost the same as other 6 string SR basses:

IMG_20170530_1930214_zps6crkxajg.

So, it's only a matter of longer neck.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    Mustang Surly likes this.
  12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Sorry for not noticing your question earlier. I have an SRC6 (which I have converted to a five string!) and I just use regular long scale padded gig bags with it. They work well enough for my purposes. I've read that the Ibanez Mikro will fit a Stratocaster HSC and I happen to have one of those and I can guarantee that the SRC6 will not fit a Strat case. I put together this photo over the last year to compare the various short scale options that are more or less in my price range, it might help you in your search as it will give you an idea how the SRC6 compares to other shorties that you may find case comments on here at TB:

ShortScaleOptions2.

I made every effort to scale the photos accurately by the scale length but distortions in the original photos and my own errors may cause some hopefully minor errors.

I eventually did get a bass that fits my Strat HSC. It is a Squire 51. If you know what that is you will protest that it is a 25.5" Stratocaster six string guitar and you would be right. Except that with a little bit of work mine is now a four string sub short scale bass with more than a passing resemblance to a first generation Precision. I seem to have caught this rare disease where I can no longer accept that the factory put the right number of strings on the guitars that I buy....

Good luck with your case search, if you need more numbers PM me (just to make sure I notice your question) and I will try to get them to you.

Aidil and Mustang Surly like this.
  13. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "...if you need more numbers PM me..."
    Thanks, khutch, but I now have the SRC6 and already had the Mustang case, so further measurements aren't needed as I have been able to do a test fit the one into the other.

14. I've seen it claimed that the Gator GC-ELEC-XL will work with an easy mod, but haven't seen any pics.
    Seems like the upper horn is bit too long so presumably the divider needs to be (re)moved.
    It's significantly cheaper than the Mustang case, which gets mediocre reviews.
    Unless I see a better suggestion soon I'll probably take my chances with the Gator.

15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Update...

Confirmed that the SRC6 fits inside Mono M80 Vertigo Electric Guitar:

IMG_20180407_1100264.