1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HT112 vs AE112 vs HS210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockern, Feb 24, 2008.

1. HT112ER

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. AE112

12 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. HS210

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. Mmmm, carrots...

40 vote(s)
    58.0%
  1. I'm the proud owner of a Berg EX112 (the "old" version) and I feel it lacks in the upper register (I knew that before I bought it used) and am planning to buy another Berg cab to pair up with it. Now my question is wich one of the above mentioned you would recommend? I'm not really after a specific sound, I want my rig to be flexible.

The real question in case would actually be 210 or 112? And also how big and what the difference in sound is between the HT112ER and the AE112?

/Felix

EDIT: forgot to mention that I probably won't be able to try any of them since there is no Bergantino dealer in Sweden :(

2. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    Carrots no questions asked.

3. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Why not an EX112? Probably would pair up a bit better with that cab. I'm not much of a mix/match guy.

4. The newer 12's are bigger than the original 12's. I'd go with an original HT-112.

5. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Isn't the HT112ER a bigger cabinet than an HT112?

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Why does every poll have a random vegetable-related choice?

7. Yes, that's why I said an original (old version) HT-112.

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    It's not random
    It's carrots

9. I have considered getting an "old" HT112 but used Bergs aren't exactly among the common stuff here in Sweden, or in Europe at all for that part. That's why I asked about the new models.

So has anyone compared the HT112ER with AE112? Or anyone know what the sound difference might be?
    Also any opinions on the Berg 210's would me nice.

10. Not many have heard all those cabs. One of the big differences between the AE and HT is the tweeter and crossover.. with the HT112 being very smooth and somewhat mellow and sweet sounding, and the AE being quite aggressive and a bit growly (based on my experience with my AE410).

My guess is, if you like your EX112, but just want a touch more treble extension, that the new HT112ER (same components as the original with a slightly bigger box to extend the low end a touch) would be the way to go.

Edit: I own an HS210 also. The HS210 uses the same tweeter and what sounds like an identical crossover as the AE line, and the tone is quite similar. The AE210 is lighter and tuned to go a touch lower (the HS210 is a little low end attenuated). I cannot think of ANY reason to choose the HS210 over the AE210 at this point, and my guess is the HS line will soon be eliminated given the similar voicing of the AE line, the better low end extension, and the lighter weight.

11. rodneyat

rodneyat

Apr 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    +1. Personally, I like definition in 10's better but if you like the EX112 you have the newer HT112Er would be a really good compliment to what you already have.

12. Ok, so it's probably the AE112 or the HT112ER. Do you think the Ae112 would work well together with the EX112? And about the tweeters I think I'll have to go try a bunch to find out what I like.
    Thanks for all the replies.

13. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    I have the HT and EX 112ER. I love them. You can't go wrong.

Both cabinets (AE/HT) sound great. I mean it's Berganitno for crying out loud.

If you don't mind the extra little bit of weight then go with HT. If weight is a concern then get the AE.

14. I think I'll try to find a matching HT112 (the "old" version that is) otherwise I'll probably get the AE112 (it's is a tad cheaper after all). But none of this until I've made myself an opinion on tweeters.