1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HT210S vs HT122S

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    Anybody compared both of these to one another...it seems like the 122S will go deeper, but I wonder which would be better for a standalone cab...or at least what the benefits of each cab would be as a standalone?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Haven't compared them directly. My only comment would be that the HT210S comes in a 4ohm version, the 112S does not. Given that the Bergs are quite power hungry, that gives the HT210S the advantage for me (and I like it very much even though it's quite power hungry). I guess the rest comes down to if you are a 12 guy or 10 guy... I prefer the sound of two 10's myself for electric bass, and the SPL is higher on the HT210S (100 v.s 96... and I assume that doesn't take into account the 4 vs 8 ohms... so probably even a bigger difference)... so... it seems that a 4ohm HT210S would be the way to go out of the two for 'single cab' use for small gigs.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    The HT122S is really only meant to be coupled with the HT210S. The 210 is the better stand alone cab. What amp have you tried the 210s with? I believe I saw that you have that one.

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I think he's talking about the newer 112 model with the tweeter (the HT112S), that could be used as a standalone, versus the original EX112S that was meant strictly as a 'bottom enhancer' to the HT210S. However, +1 on the HT210S being the best for standalone, for the other reasons mentioned above IMO.

5. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

I believe that is a EX112S..... And yes it is meant to be coupled with the HT210S

I have this setup and it just smokes.

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yup, you're both right. For forgot about that.

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Okemos, MI
    bump

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Well, now that I actually own an HT112s, I can comment. To me, neither is a very good stand alone cab... i.e., they won't put out the volume of the NL-210 you previously owned (which is IMO the best sounding 210 size cab out there). The 's' series cabs are also quite heavy (over 50 pounds each).

That being said, I greatly prefer the HT210s as a stand alone for small gigs where you don't need a lot of bottom. The relatively tight voicing of the HT210s works very well where an articulate, studio monitor type sound is required, and the voicing works very well for jazz type playing using EB with a piano or guitar trio.

The stack sounds quite nice, and the two cabs (HT210s and HT112s) meld quite nicely, with the 112s providing the low end extension that the 210s lacks, and the 210s providing more mid articulation and punch that IMO the 122s lacks.

IME, these cabs are meant to work together. If you are looking for a small stand-alone cab to use in moderate volume situations, the EA NL210 or Epi310UL seem to be the 'best in class' regarding full range tone, weight, absolute volume and reasonable low end.

All IMO and IME as always.

K

Edit: I also found that the 'Reefer' version of using these cabs, with the 122s on top of the 210s works the best.... it tends to even out the response of those cabs... making the 112s a little more punchy and the 210s a little more full sounding... allowing the stack to seemingly work better together. They are also power hungry.... a 500 watt head is not going to do it with these IMO.... my Walter Woods works quite well in driving them though.

9. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I have just the HT122s. While it's not very loud, you could get away with it depending on your use (i.e. no rock or funk bands). It's as loud as my old Aggie 112 and could cover that same ground. It gives a nice supportive tone... but no steppin' out a soloing IMO.

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey bine's. I always imagined that with a clean, powerful amp that that cab would work great as a standalone in a jazz setting...solos and all. What do ya think? You can test it out sound wise by going straight into the effects return of your Ashdown amp. It works best with something boosting the volume (just a volume boost on a pedal of some sort works) but you'll get the idea without one.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That's about what I hear with that cab also.... it goes quite deep, but lacks any sort of mid punch, which is usually death on the gig. However, the original design of that cab (EX112s) was meant to provide low end for the 210s. Just slapping a tweeter into the EX112s, not surprisingly, doesn't change the inherent tone of that cab.

Nice sounding and full though, at low volumes, and a punchy, mid oriented head and bass can help a lot!

12. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'll give that a shot, Andy. That's true that I should have mentioned that my cab is paired with an Ashdown ABM500. Very, very warm combination. I kind of preferred it with the Focus I just sold, but the Focus didn't have that larger than life presence I like.

I spoke with the guys at Clubbass about EA and Markbass heads. For 500+/- watt heads, they felt that the cab paired much better with Markbass... especially the SA450. I'm also considering trying out a 1001RBii for a more assertive tone.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

In PMing back and forth with Wilbyman quite a bit, his description of the LMII tone was very similar to what I hear with the Walter Woods. That sort of voicing.... more upper mid presence and less lows and low mids.... seems to work very well with the Berg 's' series cabs... kind of evens them out.

I've found also that the low published SPL spec's on the 's' cabs is real.... the stack takes every bit of the WW 1200 watts without even thinking. A lower powered amp like my Thunderfunk (which screams through my Epi cabs) doesn't even start to open those things up. At the same volume setting, the 410UL seems at least twice as loud as the HT210s/112s stack.

I would think a high powered GK head would work VERY well with the 's' cabs, since those heads have plenty of power and a lot of mid presence. Cool!

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I now own a ht122s and can use it as a standalone cab. I find that it is louder than a single GS112 At least it appears to be louder because of shallow cab and more punchy sound that some other cabs. I played a fairly loud rehearsal with it and it cut where the GS112 wouldn't. The only drawback is that you need some power to push it. I was putting 750 watts to the cab with my DB680 preamp.

I would think the GK would be great with it. I the cab with a SR5 and a Ken Smith and it's a killer cab!! Yeah it's still heavier than it should be.

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why is it "heavier than it should be"? If the cab were built any differently than it would sound different.

16. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Pickebass, I'm in SATX too. I'll need to find time to hear you play somewhere. Do you use any of the other "S" cabs too? I got hipped to this one by Bear over at Century Music.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I believe I'm going to check out the GK head. I like a voiced amp and loved the super mids on my old Walkabout. Maybe this could be the answer.

17. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I got mine from Century as well (don't ask bear about this one, a sore subject between him and the owner) I'm planning on getting the EX in a few weeks. I actually went in to get an HT112 because of the weight, but the 122s works a little better for what I wanted than the ht112. Have you been to Guitar Center to try the markbass amps yet? These could also be a good fit.

I've been doing some private gigs and church lately. Just found out about 10 minutes ago I'm suppose to have a gig in Austin this weekend... the wife will love that.

18. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

You are correct sir!!but based on it's size, I wish it was a little lighter.

19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ah, gotcha!

20. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I get the impression that it's being assumed that the depth of a cab has a special bearing on the sound. It doesn't - what matters is the overall volume of the cab, the speaker doesn't really care if that's achieved by being tall, deep, wide or whatever.

The HT210s sounds punchier than the HT210 not really because it's shallower but because it has a smaller internal volume. The EX112s has more bottom than the EX112 because it has more internal volume (and a speaker that can take advantage of it). The HT322's 12" compartment is deeper than the EX112s but has less height/width resulting in very similar volume and a very similar tone (though because the tens are in a bigger enclosure than the HT210s it has more bottom overall).

Alex