1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HTML Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I need code to load a link on a page without popping open a new window. Somewhat like a redirect, but this link opens a float-over that dims the background... That's why it can't load a new page. Anyone have any idea? Not looking for a meta tag.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Not exactly sure what you're trying to explain. Could you give a bit more detail?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, the page is mostly coded in ajax and we're having a bit of trouble. There is a link on the page that is similar to a popunder, but the page is dimmed out, and a little window pops up in order to allow the user to enter some info. This is to act as a gateway to the page, and what needs to happen is this link needs to be called as soon as this page loads.

Basically an auto-click on page load...

4. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    hang on so you're doing an ONEXIT command that makes the page fade?

If that's what you're doing

I would think a normal link
    Code:
    <a href="URL"></a>
    would work just fine

I might be misreading

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  6. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Looks to me like a CSS trick, and the CSS of that page is easily viewable. You could also do it (possibly better?) with Flash. I don't think "plain" HTML will do it for you.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's a whole lot of change around for flash. No auto-click on page load?

8. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Summat involving the Javascript onLoad event handler, and the click() function?

I used a tiny amount of Javascript for one site 18 months ago, so this may or may not be helpful :p

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What about a password command? The page starts to load and a little window automatically pops up that demands to have a password entered before it will continue loading the page. The background won't be "loaded but greyed out", but that may end up being an acceptable compromise. If the info to be entered is nonspecific, you could have it accept any string as a "password".