Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

http://www.kolstein.com/instruments/bass/b2431/index.shtml

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Apr 23, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Not crazy about the tuners either but I like the stripe, it is on the original bass so you can see why it is there. I like the effs on the Kolstein better then on the Prescott though.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If it plays anything like Scotty's, it's a killer!

4. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I played on it the last time I was there. It was nice, but IMO for the money there are many other basses in front of it. The copy work is quite nice though. It certaintly looks like his bass.

5. I was up at Barries shop in January, and he had just finished that bass. I was on my way out..and it caught my eye. The bass plays like a dream, its amazing. I dont think you can get any closer to Scotts bass, its incredible...Great workmanship.

6. I like the bottle openers- I mean, tuners.

7. They look as if they might have been designed by WETA for one of Peter Jackson's movies…

- Wil

8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    I think the tuners look better in real life that in the pictures. Unless this is a new one, I played that bass last year. I likeded it, but I didn't get a chance to check out Scotty's bass for a comparison.

edit: Looks like this one is newer than the one I played last year.

9. I was noticing that the top wood is slab cut fir. I'm guessing that to be Douglas Fir, but there are many other fir trees. I know spruces and firs are related conifers, but not all are deemed suitable top wood. I thought that to be somewhat uncommon both in species and a little uncommon that it is not quartered. It would appear that good basses are not always from "well-quartered" spruce.

10. What's Barrie asking for it?
    Like many of us, i've always had a THANG about Abe's basses visually and sound wise. The only thing I don't like is that his scrolls look a little anemic from the front. The side views are fine, but head on, I like more MEAT...volute wise.

11. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Paul-

Think you will dig this one. Don't know if it is absolutely original, but one of the nicest scrolls I have seen. My buddy got this last year and Bob did the restoration.

http://www.bassviolinshop.com/testimonials.html

One for the "bathroom archives" and it sounds great!
    Brian

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The original is really a neat bass. It doesn't at all feel the way that it sounds. It sounds, obviously, really loose and alla that, but (being a Prescott) feels like you're propping up a log. It's worth the once-over next time you're at Barrie's.

13. Thanks for the link Brian. Yeah, that one's exceptional. I'm saying most Prescott scrolls are a little under sized for most of his basses which are usually on the large size. Scotties was a rare 3/4 size Abe, and that scroll is exceptionally big as are Barrie's copies of it.
    Good lookin' extension too. The Sloane machines look good on that bass too........To the bathr............. :meh:

14. I checked out of curiosity last time i was up in Baldwin, 23K for the Prescott copy. I think it's worh it, but I'm not sure it is the best bass for the money. Def. a killer though, plays like a cannon.
    Pete