Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hub from The Roots

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by waxlabltabler, Mar 19, 2003.

1. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    Anybody know anything about him? His training? His equipment? All I know is that he's an experienced jazz bass player. Anyone know who else he's played with? And while we're on the subject, did he play on Common's Like Water For Chocolate album? (good bass lines there, check it out)

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I believe ?uestlove played bass on that album along with others, but not Hub. As far as equipment goes, I have seen him play Fender P's (most of the time) and J's. On the Jay-Z Unplugged album, Hub is playing an acoustic BG (not sure what type.)

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hmmmm... every time I've seen them, Hub has played a natural Jazz with creme pickup covers.

On their first few albums, he did a lot of upright work, too.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Oops, you're right. I put them in the wrong order in my reply. :)

5. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    I saw them play on the Chapelle Show and he was using an all Eden rig...couldn't tell much beyond that -- the camera wasn't really too concerned with the bassist...:meh:

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    He's a jazz trained muso. As for basses, Leonard plays J's and P's, all with EMG's. He told me that they're HIS sound.

7. Hub is Awesome!! Exclamation points to the nine hundredth power!

He makes ever song breath and come to life. "Step into the Realm" is the most infectious line I've ever heard.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, Hub is very good. :)

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There's a reason the Roots are a such in demand group......and I think Hub is on of the main reasons.
    I wish more rap would use real bass and drums...it sounds so much better! The Brand New Heavies 'Heavy Rhyme Experience' is another rap album with great live grooves. On the Dave Chapelle show the Roots where playing to tracks:(

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That's true of every musical guests that's been on the Chappelle show, I think... ah well. At least it's exposure for great music (Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli)!

11. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    I like Hub's work, pretty cool things (music) he's got going for himself. =)

12. I'm not sure about Hub in particular, but I know many of The Roots crew went to the Creative and Performing Arts High School in Philadelphia (along with Christian McBride)

13. WildBill

WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Massachusettes
    Hes always smoking when he plays, what a true jazz bassist!:)

14. This may be completely wrong, but i heard a rumor that Hub may be playing bass for incubus now because dirk is leaving. Does anyone know anything about this?

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    The way I heard it, the Roots' guitar player, Ben Kenney, is going to play with Incubus as a second guitarist.

16. waxlabltabler

waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    Ohio
    The way I heard, Vernon Reid is going to be The Roots' second guitarist or replacement. Look here: www.okayplayer.com

Also, I thought "Step Into The Realm" was a sample. I think it says so in the booklet of "Things Fall Apart".

And, from what I've read on The Roots' section of okayplayer.com, Hub usually has a chew stick in his mouth, but I haven't seen everything he's been in so I can't say always.

17. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Hub (and the Roots) kick ass. Not that this means anything, but isn't he using an SWR rig in the 'You Got Me' video?

-AC

18. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly

19. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    That's actually a licorce stick.
    he must have a gig bag full of them,i've never seen him without one.

20. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    if you can check out mtv2's 2 dollar bill concert with the roots, do it, there's an amazing appearance by jill scott. That boy is a brick wall live. Im pretty sure he plays that natural jazz most of the time, I noticed he uses alot of thumb technique, and his action looked quite high as his strings moved, I've never seen strings look so loose before. Anyone else notice this?