Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gregory, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Is Lenoard Hubbard still with the Roots or did he already go to Incubus????

I just saw the Roots at Wake Forest University tonight and I'm pretty damn sure the bass player was Hub cuz he had the trademark licorice root in his mouth.

Anyway his solo was AMAZING. He made sounds with the bass I have never heard in my life. The acoustics in the place were horrible so it wasn't as clear as I would have liked but it was still great.

I had seen the Roots 3 times before... all in our hometown of Philly but this North Carolina show was the best of all of em so far.
  2. Hub's still with the Roots. It was the Root's guitarist that is playing bass w/ Incubus (he also played bass in Blackilicious)
  3. Gotcha... yeah I noticed they had a new guitarist... he's really really good though. He's from San Francisco.
  4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    this guy has THE hip hop feel.
    This guy needs a solo album!
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    wow that's something i've never heard.
    why do you feel that way?
    was it the BP interview?
    do you know the guy?

6. Haha he did seem arrogant in the BP interview but he has paid his dues.

Have you met him in person?
  7. That's weird for a bassist. But think how bad a conversation with Yngwie would be:oops:
  8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    who said that Jaco or HUB?
  9. What are your virtuoso requirements?

Who is a virtuoso?
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    I usually don't pay much attention to interviews.
    I work for a magazine here in italy and i do a lot of interiew with musicians. from my experience i know for sure that the bigger part in an interwiew is not from the interviewed but from the interviewer.

said that i read that HUB interview on BP. Appreciated what he said, did not appreciate the way he said those strong statements about number of strings.

musically i find him FANTASTIC. i love his sound and way of playing both on the SEED 2.0 and on last and previous TEH ROOTS albums. that'sa real bass player for me! i appreciate a lot ?uestlove too. that's the drummer i dream to play with.

and bakc on the topic of the new incubus bas splayer i am really intrigued, not a big incubus fan, but.... man he's playing some dub bass with a Jack CAsady bass on a Major rock album!!!

that's COOL!!
  11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)

I second that. Great player nonetheless so he has the talents to back up the arrogance but still.. :rolleyes:
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    His attitude towards strings was expressed in one small paragraph on a, what, 2 and a half page interview?

Get over it. The rest of the interview was great -- I quite enjoyed reading it...hell, that whole issue was good stuff (my first ever BP, I never see them in stores around here). Other than his small comment on 5+ strings, he seems more down to earth than the grade 12's in my period 1 class. And when you're reading something like that and he doesn't say "IMHO" or "YMMV", tack that onto the end of a few sentences and he'll sound like a good guy. He doesn't like 5+ strings because he doesn't NEED them. And you know what? He does fine without them. He just doesn't see the use in them, and to him, I can see why -- they'd be pretty useless. There's guys here that can make those extended range basses sing, but it's all different styles of music and we all just need to chill out, grab our 4, 5, or 37 string bass, and groove.

Hub's a better guy than most and a great bassist. You can't find that together in a lot of musicians.
  13. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    That was not the only thing that got on my nerves if memory serves. I remember thinking that Hub isn't an individual you'd describe as down-to-earth upon reading the article. If its just the strings, I'd definitely notice.

But then again who cares, he's a pretty darn good bassist. Like I said he has the talents to back it all up.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I don't see why a bass player Can't have confidence in what he/she does. There are millions of guitarists in the world and no one gets mad at them because of the huge head on their shoulders. And when one good bassists makes a few comments people get angry... thats just ridiculous man... I didn't take any offense to what Hub said in the BP interview (I play a 5-string)... I didn't interpret it in an offensive way... :rolleyes:
  15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Gotta say I agree that he's a pretty arrogant guy. Heard one of the Root's tracks the other day, and he is a superb bassist. However, IMO, as a musician, he shouldn't knock what other people are trying to do, no matter how many strings the player is using...

...I mean, I don't want to start a "this bass player is better than that" thing here...but I know some six and 7 string players who (again, IMO) SMOKE Hub, as good as he is. I think that comment was in poor taste and he should have kept that opinion to himself. :rolleyes:

Then there was the Crommerford interview...
  16. Hub is absolutely amazing!!! For those who haven't heard it yet I highly recommend the Roots Live album. I spent weeks "shedding" that album. Awesome groove player. It doesn't hurt that he's working with one of the best drummers in the business too!!