1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hudson fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slinger, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Just pulled the trigger on eBay for a Hudson 4-string fretless in spalted maple. It's a bit late to ask but has anyone owned one, or at least played one? Cost me £200.00 including delivery, so you may now proceed to tell me how shrewd I am, or how much of an idiot I am. :laugh:

$_12.

$_12a.

kodiakblair and gebass6 like this.
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If it plays as good as it looks, shrewd!
    If it plays like merde, screwed! ;)

bholder likes this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Hudson makes a Cort Curbow copy!
    Hudson basses don't show up on U.S. Ebay.
    So I couldn't tell you anything.

4. @Slinger

Hudson are Cranes of Cardiff's own brand and you getting it for a third of the price is a fantastic deal. More than likely they get made the same place as the Tanglewood
    ones. All to the good I say. I've the Luthite Cort model and a fretless Tanglewood Canyon II,both are lovely basses to play and extremely comfortable even sitting down.
    Extra deep neck pocket means they're about 3-4 inches shorter than a standard 34" scale bass,less chance of knocking stuff over with the headstock:D

If it plays as well as my Tanglewood and I've no reason to doubt it won't you got yourself a cracking bass.

Congratulations

Slinger likes this.
  5. Cheers for the info kodiakblair The Cranes site only has the lefty model for sale, but I was guessing that the spec was the same, and I was hoping that the price was the same. :D

6. Memory tells me the solid colour models started at £499 a couple of year back so £599 for that lovely spalted top would be right but £699 rings a bell.

This fella here owns a red fretless one and thinks it's great.

Welcome to Maartin Allcock's Website

Recognise the name from Fairport and Tull. Check his gear list the Hudson's in there.

Slinger likes this.
  7. Just a final note - the bass has arrived and if I wasn't happily married I'd elope with it. Yes, it's that lovely. drool The only "problem" is that it's strung with rounds so I've now ordered up a set of Fender tapewounds.

kodiakblair likes this.
  8. @Slinger

Thought you might think that:) I would have suggested Status Hot Wire black nylon tapes for it,with that top they'd look amazing. Sadly the guy who made them for
    Status-Graphite went bust last year,was a flurry of activity on Tuesday when 5 packs were discovered:laugh:

Chuffed to bits for you and thanks for posting your opinion on it:thumbsup:

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Hudson basses came in the trunks of these.

Those basses are a lot older than you think!

10. @Jeff Scott

Can't have fitted many in the boot of this:D
    1910_Hudson_Model_20_Roadster_red_ny.

Interesting link,never heard of Hudson motors before.Shame how it ended.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Basses sat on the sideboards of those models; these models would be better suited for inboard bass travel:

Hudson_Eight_Convertible_Coupe_1934.

Hudson_Country_Club_Six_93_Convertible_Coupe_1939_2.

:thumbsup: :smug:

kodiakblair likes this.
  12. I thought maybe they were made from wood dredged from here :)

13. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Damn, that's a beautiful Curbow... I mean Hudson. :D

It looks like a really nice bass. That being said, it's a good thing Greg isn't with us.

He would be severely pissed off.

It is a nice looking bass. I've never seen one before.

Moonshine :bassist:

14. Not so much a Curbow, more of a Tanglewood Canyon III, as seen below.

CANYON_3_FRETLESS.

kodiakblair likes this.
  15. It's the Canyon II sitting in one of my racks. Flamed Maple top is not so much a veneer as a cap.

Tanglewood Canyon (4).

@moonshinegtrs

Why would Greg be pissed off ? He went with Cort so his designs would reach a larger market and started his Curbow School of Lutherie to share his skills,knowledge
    and ideas.That 10 years after his passing companies are still using his designs is testament to his vision.

Bass V likes this.
  16. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    ...which is a Tanglewood copy of a Curbow.

You are correct about the Cort/Curbow deal and the Lutherie school was a dream that Greg had for many years (so cool that he was able to make it a reality).

But I don't believe Greg would give his blessing to someone else profiting off his design. Ed Roman (also passed away) built Curbow copies too (they may still do Abstract Caesar Bass - Ed Roman Guitars).

As I'm writing this it dawned on me that I build instruments loosely based on the late Nate Daniels designs so I guess I'm a hypocrite... :meh:

Still, If Greg was alive today, he would have plenty to say about it.

Both the Tanglewood and the Hudson are beautiful instruments, I'm not knocking them at all.

Moonshine :bassist::bassist:

Slinger likes this.
  17. The Tanglewoods have been out for a number of years so there's no chance they've escaped Cort's notice.

Course I'm not privy to any business agreements between Cort,Tanglewood or the Hudson brand but given the size of Cort and their position in the Far East
    any blatant knock-offs they could do something about.

18. I've picked up some second hand info on a forum (my mate works for Hudson and he told me...) where the guy says that someone at Hudsons is a friend of someone at Tanglewood and he gets Tanglewood to make them up for him. My point about it being more of a Tanglewood than a Cort was about the finish rather than the design. kodiakblair is dead right about the top being cap rather than a veneer b.t.w., it's easily third of the total thickness of the body.

kodiakblair likes this.
  19. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Nice. I've got a Hudson acoustic/electric bass and plays really well.
    I'm lucky enough to live near the Swansea store and have pretty much lusted after the Hudson basses there for the last 10 years.

kodiakblair likes this.
  20. I'd never seen one of these before I bought mine and now another one has sold on eBay just 2 weeks later. It went for more than I paid for mine I'm pleased to say. :D

kodiakblair likes this.