Huge Blood Blisters...what to do...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Nov 11, 2002.

1. After this past Saturday's gig, I have two of the worst blood blisters on my middle and pointer finger. I was afraid the one on my middle finger was going to pop while I was playing, that would have been slightly paintful and a bit nasty. Anyway, what does everyone do for them? Do I want to dry it out, and how?
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    heres what i do, although many say not to pop em.

i burst it, with minimal skin tearage, then after its drained and 'set' for about 10 mins, plaster it up (band aid i think you US'ers call it) and play as normal. Although the plaster stops the pain, it still lets you work on your technique, and crusts up the torn tissue into a nice pallette of bass playing good ness :)
  3. I'd pop it, then bandage it up, then stop playing for a few days.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Doesn't consistent playing prevent blisters?

i.e. if you are used to playing 6 hours a day, then you won't get blisters when you play for 6 hours.
  5. Well, I'm not sure if it's just me, but when I get blisters, it kinda hurts. And to make it stop hurting, I stop doing what causes the pain. So I put two and two together...
  6. Lance them with a needle and drain.

Apply pressure when putting on the band-aid to prevent them from refilling.

Use a pick for a week. ;)
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You must keep playing, During your off time drain the blister. when it get's hard you have to remove it. this happen's to bass player's young in their career and sometimes is a deterent to keep on playing but trust me we have ALL gone through this and it should only happen one time, when it heels you should never have that problem again never.
  8. here's a tip / trick I learned from an old upright player:
    (this helped me considerably when i first started gigging and maybe played a bit too agressively.)

if you are a right handed player, put a dab of vaseline behind your right ear. (left ear if left handed)
    when you feel your fingertips getting tender, you can reach up and touch the back of your ear and coat your fingers with a little grease. you can keep on playing and not be bleeding on stage.

of course you will need to boil or change your strings after the gig.
  9. I have some super glue (comes in a little bottle like Krazy Glue) and it has a little brush. The other day I was slapping and popping like a madman and had a VERY sore finger with a nice blister coming up. I grabbed an ice cube and held my finger there for 15 day, before playing, I applied a few layers of the super glue to the area of my finger that hurt. It created a "fake calice" and I couldn't even feel the blister any more. It takes about 20 seconds to get used to and it does NOT come off easily. Try it.
  10. just make sure the glue is dry before pickin' your nose or takin' a leak!
  11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Consitant practice with the tecnique you use to play with people will create a calus that will prevent blisters when you are plying. Some people crack well developed caluses. I dont, thank you god.The thing is if you use a different tecnique when playin with people then your on fresh skin and blister. when I sit around practiceing electric im on the tips of my picking fingers playing all fast and tight. The I play a blues gig and I spend the whole night hittin hard with my index finger and I use more of the pinky side of the fleshy part . Im aware of that now.

Same thing with upright practice, one thing then Im digging in and Im getting a blister up by the secound knuckle of my pointer finger. Then theres rockabilly slap......

any way I try to be in shape when you walk in the door that solves all.On the ocation when im not in shpe and I feel something coming on I use ELASTOPLAST its a tape that acually sticks to you finger while playing and has a surface that works with the string. This stuff has saved me countless times and never leaves the gig bag.

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    BLOOD blisters? jesus, ive never had BLOOD blisters,,, just the normal puss kind. (note to self, never try to put puss in plural form with a "Y") But i have had them, just keep playing. it takes a while.
  13. So how DO you get Superglue off your fingers?
  14. I just peel it off bit by bit or wait until it falls off on it's own. It's not a pretty sight but it does work very well. You'll have to use your pinky to pick your nose.
  15. Jay61581

Aug 7, 2002
    Nucla Colorado
    You just got to be tough...

I've never actually had a blister from playing bass, but I did get my right hand index finger caught in my swamp cooler, right between the rotating fan thing and a brace....peeled it from the tip to the first joint down from the tip, I could see my tendons....Yeah it kinda hurt, but I had practice in 2 hours so I applicated about 6 band-aids and I was good to go.
  16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    anyone here ever see the lakland dedication ad in BP magazine? you know the one with the first and middle fingers with the tips ripped off? suck it up and play through it you durn wimps! or if need be use superglue.

and polly, i think you mean adjective with "Y" as in pussy (pronounced PUH see) blisters. did i just say pussy blisters? boy that looks bad! good thing i said pussy and not p*ssy. maybe we should play it safe and say water blisters... :p
  17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I was working on three finger plucking (using the ring finger). after a while, the ring finger would get tender and almost blister, so I stopped. Finally got ticked, then just used my ring finger until I got a blister, then I still used it, and it popped. I still used it (this is where it really hurt), and in a day or two I think I lost all the feeling out of it. So my plan, while seemingly developed by a crackhead, worked out.
  18. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    awe come on...just use your toes instead!:D
  19. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    yeah, because your fingers take the pain and form ' calices' which makes your fingertips stronger, so the more you play the better, and if you have a blister and it hurts like hell, keep playing! endure the pain, or if ur a pussy and cant stand the pain, use a pick :D