1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Huge blow this morning.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by saltydude, Dec 6, 2018.

1. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Got two group texts from the singer and second guitarist this morning.

Guitarist has been diagnosed with some crazy form of arthritis. Needs to step away so he can treat it.

Singers mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. He’s devastated and needs to step away to care for her.

Just like that poof, back to square one.

Kelloggsy likes this.
  2. Sorry for your bandmates' very real challenges. They have their priorities straight and deserve your understanding and support. Band is definitely second fiddle to stuff like that, especially if you're weekend warriors who aren't doing it to pay the mortgages. I wish them well.

At least your mates have legitimate concerns. It's infinitely more frustrating when the people you depend on just have several other non-essential or non-threatening diversions that are more important than being in a band. It's hard to progress with two or three people holding the band hostage to their other whims.

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    Damn, that is a huge blow for each of them. Support as best you can.

portpc, saltydude and Mr_Moo like this.
  4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Oh I definitely feel for them and understand. Things were really starting to move along too. Both these guys are seasoned pros. They both have other bands that were told the same disappointing news so I know it’s not some conspiracy thing.

5. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Yep. I tell my students and co-workers that learning to work effectively in a band is the hardest place to be a team member or a leader. You can't play the other guy's instrument, you can't do your gig without the key players there, they aren't full time, so other priorities impinge on your hard work, life happens and band is among the first to go.

That's why I continue to try to run a band with interchangeable players in case one person can't do a gig or quits. Choose songs that are as easy as possible, and codify them so you can walk into most situations with no rehearsal (youtube playlists, chord charts, for example). And that means being kind of like a commodity, regrettably. That's why jazz works so well for me. Rock and dance music is harder because it has to sound a certain way to be really at its best -- like the original. Not so with jazz -- half the time no one is listening and you are creating ambiance, not a feature performance.

I just found out our singer isn't available New Year's Eve, so no dance gig that evening for us when I might have had a gig. At least we aren't experiencing the calamities your band members are, however.

saltydude likes this.
  6. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Real world troubles, sorry. Does pose interesting questions.

How many players can you lose before it’s untenable?

I think with many small stable groups loss of more or more players is fatal. The group can’t adjust to too many changes in performance or texture. Destroys the nature of the band, although that probably isn’t true in the grand scheme, just our perception.

7. +1

Not to discount their concerns in any way, but even they must realize that life goes on for those around them, and there will come a point where the rest of the band will have to make some hard decisions about continuing, and in what form. That's the tough part.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  8. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Well we’re back down to the lead guitarist, drummer and myself.

Good news is the three of us are the original members. Even the original singer had expressed interest in returning lately so it’s never over. Think positive and forge ahead is my only option.

I will continue to play regardless. I get offers all the time to join other projects if this continues to stagnate.

9. Kelloggsy

Kelloggsy

Dec 9, 2018
    I guess it depends on how you want to view it. For some people it may be a blessing.

10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    It would be really nice felling the chemistry of all the original members again. We got together for a reason. However the Original singer got replaced for the same old stupid reasons. The guitarist was awesome too. Did all the back ups and harmonies etc. Now I have to go back to doing it and I’m not nearly as good. It’s hard to keep trying to pull it together and getting knocked back for “excusable excuses” Stuff you can’t refute.

Kelloggsy likes this.
  11. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    yes, crap in life happens. You just gotta move on.

JRA likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.

13. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    huge blow in the morning are the best :rolleyes:

mellowinman likes this.