Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Huge cab dilemma - Pease help fast

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Hi
    I currenlty own an SWR Triad that I purchased used for a very good price and use a hartke ha7000 to run it. I sounds good in studio and for smaller rooms. At the time I bought it I was only playing finger style but now I'm into slapping and I integrate that into my playing style but in live settings at higher volumes the slapping and popping don't cut through the mix. I would like to sell the Triad and replace it with a four ten rig for now and then add a 15 later. The urgency is that currenlty at my local GC they are selling an SWR goliath 8ohm 410 on clearance for $400 after tax. I really wanted this one and liked the punchy sound however I clicked the cab selector switch over to one of the Ampeg 410s and it was just a huge different in all round sound. I did find that the SWR could handle louder volumes without distorting and was punchier on the B string, but the ampeg had a nice crispness that the SWR didn't have. Can a more seasoned player who has had more experience with either of these brands please advice me on what to purchase. I like the SWR punchiness and the price and I was wondering with my San Amp I might be able to get the ampeg sound or should I just hold out and get an ampeg and if so which four ten. I've heard something about ampeg not being effecient?? Don't know what that means. Also I want a 410 that will handle my 5 string best since I won't have a 15 for awile. Please help...

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    The SWR was punchy, and the Ampeg was crisp? I would think it to be vice-versa. IIRC, SWR cabs scoop out the mids, whereas mids are Ampeg's speciality, especially the classic series.

I know that the Ampeg 410hlf is ported and tuned deeper, therefore designed to handle the low B of a 5 string.

Also, the HLF is 4 ohms, where the SWR you mentioned is 8 ohms. If you only switched cabs, and not amps, then you would notice a big difference.

I hope this helps.

3. elbajista, thanks for the info. Yeah when I switched to the ampeg using the same amp and same settings where was more high end hiss. It was very "hi Fi" sounding while the swr was very punchy and more honky sounding if I may use the term. I'm open to any other suggestions in the $600 range. I just thought that this SWR was a good deal money wise.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    why do you have to "rush" your decision? if you have to take a couple days, drive around town, read reviews, try several different 410s. in the end you will be happier longer.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

What he said - a little more time in shopping *can* lead to long term happiness...

- georgestrings

6. I use TraceElliot 1048 (4x10") cab - 320W @ 8Ohm
    It has plenty of lows to bring lowB proud, altought sound remains selective. I both play fingerstyle and slap (sometimes tap) and I don't have time to change my settings (I play in death-metal band).
    I haven't played really big gigs, but this cab sounds better when you go loud.
    I think new TE cabs are also made same way and sound good.

7. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I don't really slap anymore, but I definitely had to use different EQ and volume settings to dial in slapping vs. fingerstyle back when I did slap. I don't know if other players had this experience, but I always had to use more volume to cut through the mix when slapping. I generally set my volume for fingerstyle with the volume knob on the bass leaving a bit of room to turbocharge it when I needed to slap.

Again, though, this was long ago, and others may not have had the same issues as I did ...

Best of luck!

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It might not be a cabinet dilemma. I use an outboard preamp to switch on/off my slapping tone, and it is a totally different EQ.

If you slap low B or use low B a lot, the Goliath isnt for you. I am sure at store volume levels it sounded badass, but for a loud rehearsal or mid sized you will have some serious farting. It just isnt tuned for below low E range.