Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Huge crack in neck, please help me fix it.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Dec 2, 2003.

1. yeah, my peavey cirrus 4 has a crakc in the headstock. It has developed right on the tuning key for the g string and if it were not for the graphite, i would have no g string. i was just thinking some wood glue followed by a c clamp then when that is dry take a steel plate and screw it on over the crack and hope that does the job. should that work, or should i do something else? keep in mind, i want to spend as little money as possible.

thanks,
    erik

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the bass under warranty? Even if it is not, I would call Peavey anyway. They have great customer service, and I know of at least 1 occasion where a Cirrus was out of warranty and developed a crack, and Peavey made good on it.

3. Embellisher has the right approach. Do this first! IF this doesn't pan out, I have some suggestions but I'm not going to make them public until you've exhausted the factory route.

I don't want folks thinking it's a common thing to just slap a repair on a graphite neck.

BTW, the wood glue route is absolutely the WRONG thing to do and will affect any subsequent attempt to fix it by a skilled craftsman.

4. thank you for the input. i will call peavey customer service right when i get home from school and post about what is going on with that.

thank you,
    erik