Huge gain increase in neck pickup [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TeenMetalBass, Jul 17, 2017.

1. TeenMetalBass

TeenMetalBass

Jul 17, 2017
    Ive owned my Schecter Omen-4 for about a year now and I always played on the bridge pickup. However, recently Ive tried and switch to the neck or blend the two but this always pushes a huge amount of gain to the point where it distorts my amp. I know its not my amp as I play with a 500 watt GK with plenty of headroom. Cutting the gain on the amp doesn't help either, its always a distorted mess.

(Passive pickups with active electronics for those that are wondering)

Is this a pickup issue? An electronics issue? Even if I have to take this to a luthier I'd like to know what I have to address.

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Might be a pickup adjustment issue. You could turn the screws to move the pickup a little farther from the strings and see what happens. Just count the turns and if you don't like the result, you can set it back where it was.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  3. TeenMetalBass

TeenMetalBass

Jul 17, 2017
    This solved my problem, thank you very much.

4. Just a tip if you have allen poles on a pickup and decide to adjust em. Stick the long shaft in the pickup and look at where the short leg is pointing. Think of one turn as a clock of sixty minutes. Adjust in "minutes", so if you turn 5 minutes on each, "where" wrench points doesn't matter. Five minutes is five minutes no matter where it points when you stick it in... Still same relative balance.

Just a tip. I've had some come in my shop where folks have dicked up the pole balance, dicking up string balance in output... You can extrapolate from above for screws too...

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Delighted to hear it!!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021