1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

huge loss od tone in markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred19137, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    everyone is going to hate me for saying this, but they know it is true. You just can not get that same clanky sound out of markbass. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more clear than markbass nor should clarity be sacrificed for tone. But if I had to choose between paying 5000 for ampeg or markbass it would be ampeg.
    If there is some equalization trick, or a botton I'm not pressing please let me know. but don't you agree?

2. Gotta say I don't agree. I find my LMII pretty darn versatile and can get just about any tone short of a full blown tube power section out of it.

Which head do you own? I find I can get that clankiness if I boost the high mids and set everything else flat. And turn the VPF all the way down.

3. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    oh see i was speaking more about the cabs. I am sorry i was not more specific. It was a 4 by ten real nice but it was soooooo much deeper than other cabs I used. I use my ibanez combo head on it. Se I really like the tone i get out of it, I don't need more than the 150watts it affords so why waste money on something I don't need. So Iripped it out of my combo. and brought it to the recording studio. I plugged into the cab and it came out soooooo. low end. I boosted my mids way high and it still was not the clank I love. So I switched to the studio's ampeg cab. there was the clank I love.

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

So this just illustrates that there is no amp that fits everyone's taste.

5. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    I admit I am trying to get some talk going. But I was confused by this. I thought markbass would replicate the sound better. But instead was more like a muffler.
    A COMPANY NEEDS TO DEVELOPE SYSTEMS CHEAPLY THAT REPLICATE THE EXACTE SOUND OF YOUR GUITAR. then give you equalization tools to make it how you want it. NOT HAVE AMPS THAT ARE BIAS IN CERTAIN FREQUENCIES.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Most companies have a specific tone color to their amps. That's why we have many brands.

If you want something clean, clear, and transparent, then you have to shop for that. Many others want the amp/cab to impose its coloration on their tone.

7. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    No wonder you're bummed. Those are BASS amps, not guitar amps.

8. milothefultz

milothefultz

Nov 29, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Like Ampeg doesn't have a biased amp? Their amps are just biased toward clankity-clank high end and thunder-boom lows. If you want the true tone of a guitar, I think an amp with no tone stack (Markbass, Acoustic Image, etc.) gives you a more true tone than an amplifier with one (Ampeg, Fender, etc.).

It's so clear, yet you find it too muddy of a low end? You had too much low end, but not enough "clank"? I do not know what you are trying to find in tone.

9. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    I agree that ampeg has biased tone. I am saying I like that bias better. What I was saying was that they don't really make any amps, that are in an affordable range that don't mess with the tone at all.

10. milothefultz

milothefultz

Nov 29, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Ahhh, agreed then. I'm also equally frustrated at that at this point. Looking at unbiased tone from amplifiers, you have to drop a ton just for the head, let alone the cabinet. Stupid tone coloring.

11. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Mmm... Your Ibanez's combo head may have a fixed 'contour filter' (like a permanent mid-scoop) in its circuit which is intended to massage more bottom out of the combo's small speaker/cabinet combination. {My Traynor DB 50 (50 watts, 10" speaker) uses this scheme.}

Have you tried any Markbass heads with your Markie 4 X 10"?

Same-brand bass amp heads and cabinets are typically designed to work together as complete systems (yes, they can often be mixed & matched with good results, but...).

Are you starting out with the amp's EQ flat-->turning it up as loud as it needs to be-->then EQ-ing for tone/competition from other instruments/room acoustics?

--------

Please note: When posting for gear help, it's useful to identify the make & model of said gear to aid those who would like to assist in troubleshooting problems.

12. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i play metal ( almost doom metal....we play F#BF#BE) and i have a markbass F1. i push it and i can get a great tone of it. looking to get a more powerful one so i can have headroom too.

13. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    yeah see that was the sad part. The studio did not have a markbass head. I have tried them though at gc and it as well seemed a bit deep for my liking. but i did not realize that my head could possibly have a contour filter. It is something I will look into. And I will still use markbass in the furture so don't worry(if u were at all...hahahahah)

14. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    I never ever want to describe, or have my sound described as.... "Clanky". :meh:

15. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    in a couple days I will have new demos good ones on my band's myspace and i will show you the clanky that I like. I no way is it a good solo sound however, I like the way it mixes with the band.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is one wild thread!

17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Pehaps your combo's manual includes a Block Diagram? If it does, then you could see what is in its signal path.